SailNet Community banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
712 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

As I get deeper into this "navigation" hobby, a couple questions have come to mind. When I'm doing plots, DR lines, and the like on a chart while under way, what kind of chart works best? Paper with pencil? Waterproof and a china marker (grease)? I'm just guessing I could have a paper chart all marked up and a mess in no time. Not having the ability to print full size, replacing paper charts could get expensive. On the other hand, a china marker isn't going to be very acturate with it's big "lead".

Recommendations for training "under way"? Thanks.

Dave

·
Administrator
5,921 Posts
I use mechanical pencils on my paper charts (and the water resistant charts). Anything else makes too large a line for my tastes.

·
Registered
146 Posts
I actually have been thinking about printing up a number of charts at work and was wondering what size you think works best?

·
Barquito
3,683 Posts
I think the only way to be accurate is to do it just like you do in class. Same tools. Same size chart. You can erase marks if needed. You may use some DR line again if sailing from one point to another.

·
Registered
9,378 Posts
Use a .9mm pencil with a soft lead. Clean up your charts with white erasers, never the pink ones.

Danger / clearing bearings can be done in pen - they are not going to change, except for variation. I do use magnetic for danger bearings.

·
Barquito
3,683 Posts
Danger / clearing bearings can be done in pen - they are not going to change, except for variation. I do use magnetic for danger bearings.
I use true for dangerous bears... sorry couldn't resist.

·
Registered
9,378 Posts
I had a dangerous bear swim across my bow in the Broughtons. Even though I was stand on, I slowed down and let him cross. :D

1 - 8 of 8 Posts