SailNet Community banner

21 - 23 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Not sure a gimbaled system would work reliably and be able to resolve the night sky... great idea just not practible on a boat, the complexity, weight, storage, etc... even looking through binoculars at night is rough with rolling waves, etc.

A tripod with motion sensing and adjusting legs may help similar to adjusting shocks on a car, the D/A processing would need to be pretty significant to 'foresee' the next adjustments (rolling waves)... this is the problem the military has with adjusting mirrors for camouflage in real time... processing power while in movement mimicking the background.

·
Registered
1,833 Posts
Here is my story on things we can't explain and those of us that have sailed under the darkest of skies while in the middle of the ocean or even close to shore...

Back in the 80's I was on assignment to AUTEC on Andros Island in the Bahamas... this is the Atlantic Underwater Test and Evaluation Center run by the U.S. Navy... while on a break we went to the Tiki bar by the beach and some of us were just having some drinks and looking out into the sea and sky somewhere around 9 PM... I (and others there) saw what looked like 8-9 stars (the magnitude of the light was the same as stars in the background) flying in all different directions and then all flew to one point of light and traveled some distance together until about the distance of half the view of the sky then dispersed into the same 8-9 lights and shot out of the horizon... now I'm an astronomy buff and know this was not birds, planes, balloons, etc... this was in space at least 20-50 miles up or more... we were blown away by what we saw... nothing can describe what we saw...

I am sure such things or phenomena have been seen by others... what have you seen above or below the water you cannot explain?
Think how much unexplained stuff people have seen near AUTEC "Henry, I'm telling you, I just saw a periscope." :D

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
Discussion Starter #23 (Edited)
Think how much unexplained stuff people have seen near AUTEC "Henry, I'm telling you, I just saw a periscope." :D
True... we did a lot of testing on some far out equipment I can't divulge due to my clearances... they consider AUTEC the Area 51 of the Navy... go figure... I will say it's where our submarines and other advanced underwater naval equipment gets tested for 'signatures', ULF and other neat stuff... if you're into it... I did some torpedo testing... :cool:

I think the locals might see strange stuff but for the most part they know the facility there and perhaps what the Navy is doing there... many work as civilians there as cooks, cleaning services, food delivery, etc... it's a whole city out there self contained.

21 - 23 of 23 Posts