SailNet Community banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Union 36''''s

Looking for any info on these boats. As I have seen the 2 posting on here and 1 of them the address was no good. We are in the process of buying a 1987 36 union, so I would like any info.

·
Registered
5,067 Posts
Union 36''''s

What you are looking at is the result of a royalty dispute between designer Robert Perry and Hans Christian, as the Union line was Perry''s reply to being cheated out of his royalties for designing the Hans Christian 36. Other evolutions of the dispute: Tayana 37, etc.
For a copy of the ''history" in Perry''s own words, go the the Sailnet E-Mail Archives (on a netscape browser it should be on the LEFT of your current screen). Submit: "Geneology of the Tayana 37", then Select "Tayana" - wait quite while for the search to be done - then choose one of the links authored by Harvey Karten - "Geneology of the Tayana 37"
For other further information, join the HansChristian and/or Tayana eMail owner''s group here on Sailnet (on a netscape browser it should also be on the LEFT of your current screen).... and ask away!

·
Registered
614 Posts
Union 36''''s

I remember years ago reading that some gentleman from "Winterport, Maine" (maybe in Practical Sailor, early ''90''s) designed either the Union 36 or one of the other very obvious Perry designs. I don''t remember the guy''s name, but, since Winterport was only a couple of miles from home and I drove through often, I went into the Town Office and inquired as well as checked the phone book. Nobody over heard of him. Nonexistent. Ask Bob Perry. I believe he''d actually respond to your email if you track him down. Somewhere in British Columbia, I believe....

1 - 3 of 3 Posts