SailNet Community banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm a relatively inexperienced mechanic and figured I'd turn to you all for help. There is a water leak at the big nut on what I believe is the drive shaft. I had a similar leak last year and merely tightened the nut which seemed to fix the problem. When I noticed it again this year, turning the nut seemed to turn the whole assembly leading aft toward a hose clamped rubber sleeve. I don't want to go twisting things around willy nilly, is there something I am missing? Thanks

·
One of None
8,040 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Wow, that is exactly what I was looking for. BTW, is that an Oday in your avatar? I have a 34, and sail out of Annapolis

·
Registered
2,500 Posts
Nicky,

For heaven's sake be careful.
That's your final drive shaft seal.
If it is too loose it will leak excessively.
If it is too tight it will overheat and burn the shaft seal or it will twist off the seal.
Adjust it so that it has a very slight weep when it is running. It needs the slight weep to keep it cool.
Adjust it very gently, in very slight stages. Don't go tightening it half a turn or something crazy.
It always leaks a wee bit, so don't attempt to stop the leak completely.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the warning, I normally bear paw my way through stuff like this but I could see this was something not to be trifled with. I'm fine with it weeping while under power but it never ceases and my bilge has been running more often than usual so I think a bit of a tighten might be in order.

·
Registered
4,674 Posts
Probably needs new packing. Can be done in the water but maybe wait till haul out or at least have experienced help. Be sure of correct size of packing. In the meantime leaking is better than burning the shaft till it needs replacing. I usually cut a couple of spanners out of plate and file to fit.That keeps the torque off the hose. Break that and weep.

·
Learning the HARD way...
7,405 Posts
Here are some pictures of the stuffing box from an O'day 35 (same boat).

Note that it is a 1" propeller shaft, and if my notes are right, it uses 3/16" packing.

·
Registered
3,184 Posts
I just had mine repacked with Tefpak. Almost completely dry under the engine now.

·
Registered
2,500 Posts
Nicky :
Try nipping it up a tiny bit at a time and watching the leak rate.
It must leak a little bit when spinning, as it needs the water through-put for cooling.
When stopped, allow it to leak a tiny bit too as it encourages the delivering of oxygen to the stern assembly, and that will help the stainless shaft from aggressive corrosion. Stainless does not like de-oxygenated conditions, particularly in seawater environment.
You have to settle for some leakage though. It is just the way they are designed.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts