SailNet Community banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

I'm thinking of buying a Catalina 30. One I'm looking at has a Universal 5411 inboard diesel.

I just heard that the Universal 5411 produces only 11hp and is sea water cooled. Can someone confirm if that is correct and also what issues that would raise.

The whole reason for me to spend the extra $$$ on an inboard diesel is so I feel comfortable sailing the California coast, maybe Mexico and eventually beat back north.

Thanks!

·
Registered
5,197 Posts
Yes, the Universal 5411 is 11HP and its raw water cooled. My previous boat was a Cal 9.2 (30 foot) with one. It was adequate power for that boat, but the 9.2 is a lighter (7000 lbs) and more easily driven boat than the Cat 30. It's probably fine in the Cat 30 in most conditions, but not enough to power the boat into any real wind and waves and maintain good speed. I'm guessing the boat you are looking at is late 70s to early 80s and this is the original engine. If run in salt water for the entire time and never been rebuilt, I would be concerned. I had to replace the one in my previous boat with a rebuilt one after just under 30 years of use in salt water.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts