SailNet Community banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have pumped out the fuel tank, replaced filters, and bled the system. I have fuel getting all the way to the injector pump bleed screw but no fuel getting to injectors. Any suggestions on what to check?
Thanks

·
Registered
2,537 Posts
mako...
Carefully loosen the fuel feed unions closest to the top of the injectors.
Now, goggles on!!!!
Run your starter motor for a moment until you see fuel appearing at the union(s). It is very high pressure, so watch it!
Stop the starter motor.
Re-tighten the unions.
Give it a try.

·
Registered
3,184 Posts
My suggestion is to let, say, a half a pint out from that fuel pump bleed screw. There may be some air that is trapped in the pump, stopping it from pumping.

What is the history here? Why are you flushing out the tank?

·
Learning the HARD way...
7,667 Posts
Try pushing the stop lever in... and check the linkage.

·
Registered
3,184 Posts
If it's like my 5424, the engine is stopped by pushing the throttle lever past the idle detent, against a spring. So to follow eherlihy's suggestion, try pushing the throttle forward. (getting a bit confused between forward and back, as my throttle is reversed! Anyway, away from idle, more throttle.)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I have tried all of this. There is plenty fuel getting to the pump but when I turn the engine over with the union completely off of the injector it just drip.. drip..drips, no pressure at all. Do the injector pumps go bad often? I have tried it with the throttle in all positions, but it does seem like it's in shutoff mode.
Thanks

·
Registered
5,072 Posts
Remove the injection pump from the engine and validate that the pumps 'control rack' from the governor hasnt become 'frozen' in the closed position. Frozen control racks on injector pumps usually indicate and require that the injection pump needs a rebuild or replacement.

You can also sometimes do this check by taking off the cover plate for the governor and inspect to see if the governor-to-control rack linkage is able to move as if the rack is stuck the governor linkage will also be stuck - the governor linkage is directly connected to that 'control rack'. If not able to move, then most surely the 'control rack' - the rod that controls fuel volume flow in the injector pump - is most probably 'stuck'. Sometimes, checking a 'control rack' is easier to do than removing the Injection pump and all its 'piping' and removal and disturbing all the 'shims' used to gain precise 'fuel timing' - just check to see if the governor to injection pump 'rack' is free to move. On most small diesels you'll have to remove the governor linkage from the pump to remove the injector pump, anyway; so having that governor plate off will make it easier to remove the linkage from the injector pump.
Dont do this without an 'exploded view' line drawing diagram of the engines hi pressure pump and governor, etc.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts