SailNet Community banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,408 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello,

Tomorrow (Friday) I start a week vacation. The plan is to sail the boat from my home port (Mt. Sinai NY) to Port Washington, leave the boat there on Saturday (family obligations), then on Sunday take the family and sail around NY harbor. We'll stay at the 79st boat basin for a few days, then sail home.

To this afternoon I went down to the boat to load gear, fill water tanks, etc. I start the engine and move the boat from the mooring to the dock. Then I opened a lazarette to get a hose out so I could fill the water tank. Hey, why does it smell like diesel exhaust in the lazarette? I do some looking around and I found a small hole in the mixing elbow.

After digging around, removing insulation, etc. I found that where the injection pipe connects to the upper elbow, the injection pipe is rotted about 1/2 way around :(

I made a quick stop at the boatyard. The mechanic rode out the boat with me to see the exhaust. It should be a simple repair, but he doesn't have injection pipe and needs to get one made.

Tonight I went back to the boat and applied some magical exhaust glue and patch stuff. The stuff needs to cure for 2-4 hours, so I left. I will go back to the boat tomorrow morning to test the exhaust system, but I doubt it will work.

Looks like my trip will be postponed or canceled :(

Barry

·
Registered
5,179 Posts
I feel your pain. If you are referring to the elbow that is from about 2" pipe that goes directly into the water muffler. It has a small pipe that lets in water sticking out the side.
I took a standard elbow and and nipple to a local welding shop and for about $20 they welded it for me.

·
Registered
2,408 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Update,

As expected, the first repair didn't hold. It worked, but after 5 minutes the vibration cracked the epoxy. After moping around for a few hours, and pricing hotel rooms in NYC ($200+ a night) I decided to take a trip to Home Depot. There I found a 'sleeve' type device with two hose clamps mounted to it. "Ah ha, this might just work." I used high temp epoxy to seal the leak and the sleeve to provide strength. The epoxy set in 30 minutes and then I went for a test drive. No leaking and it seems to hold.

In fact, today I motored from Mt. Sinai to Port Washington, and the engine ran great the entire time. I checked the repair often and it holding up well.

I will still get a proper repair, but it will wait until the end of the week.

Barry

·
Registered
4,899 Posts
Not sure about the M25, but the 5411(M15) exhaust is made up of standard 1 1/4 inch NPT treaded pipe fittings. You can buy standard black iron fittings at Home Depot. I would bet the M25 uses the same or one size larger. A whole exhaust loop would be about $20.

·
Registered
103 Posts
I replaced mine about 7 years ago with an elbo above a "T" fitting where I connected the water injection line. I have asked here several times and have received no answer why a custom (expensive) fitting is necessary. There is no so called repair that will work for any more than a short term emergency fix. I now carry about 5 dollars worth of black fittings and a pipe wrench on board as a just in case.

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
Barry, that's a great solution. It would be really great if you could post the specific name of the material you bought for the fix. Glad your cruise ended happily.

·
Registered
2,408 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hi Stu,

Thanks for the comments. Unfortunately, that repair was done two summers ago and I don't recall the specifics. I'm sure there are a few similar items in every auto parts and home type store.

Barry

1 - 7 of 7 Posts