SailNet Community banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5,232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
We have a either a 5411 or 5416 Universal. Hard to tell as the plate is scratched.
It is a fresh water cooled engine.

I took off the old filter and compared it the filter they say is for that engine and they look massively different.

Is their any chance that the smaller one is correct for this engine.
The fram is what came off.

·
Tartan 27' owner
5,238 Posts
As long as they both mate properly with your oil system (eg., not leak) either will work.
The Fram filter likely has more actual filter material in it and may be a better filter to use with an old Universal diesel.
I'd jot down the Fram filter # and price it at an auto parts store. I'll bet it is cheaper than the genuine Universal filter you have there. Buy one for your next oil change.

·
Registered
3,184 Posts
If its fresh (antifreeze) water cooled, it should be a 5416.

299381 is the Universal oil filter for the 5416 and 5424, which cross-references to Bosch 72150, Wix 51348, and many others. I've been using the Bosch and Wix because the quality seems good.

Also the 298854 fuel filter cross references to the following :

Fram P3726, Purolator PER 262F, NAPA 3390, Baldwin BF940, Wix 33390

Again, I've been using the Wix. They are widely used on commercial vehicles which rack up hundreds of thousands of miles.

I'm not a fan of Fram filters.

·
Registered
5,253 Posts
Since it's fresh water cooled, it is most likely a 5416. The 5411 was raw water cooled. Check the dipstick as it will have the Kubota engine number. The 5411 was Z-500. The filter I used for the 5411 on my previous boat looked like the Universal filter you show, not the Fram. Here's some good info on Universal engines on the Catalina 30 owners website.

ENGINES

1 - 5 of 5 Posts