SailNet Community banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been having diesel leaking from an unknown location. I traced the line and tighten everything that could be tighten, but I still cannot find where the leak is coming from. It's not a big leak, but its enough to drive me crazy. The engine is not starting on the first crank, it does take a couple of try's with the throttle all the way up. While inspecting the engine I found a tube which I could not Identify. It's located under the exhaust manifold. Could diesel be coming form the tube when I trying to crank the engine?

Attachments

·
Registered
28 Posts
Can't really see clearly Coney.
Is that a cock?
Does the hose just end in the bilge?
if so it is a drain cock for the water in the water cooled muffler.

As to your leak.
It can be quite frustrating tracking down a fuel leak.
One trick is to wipe everything down and wrap paper (the heavy duty wiping paper) around suspect places.
The paper will soak up the fuel and indicate a leak.
Eliminate all those that don't show a leak and then home in with talcum powder.
dust the remaining areas. The powder shows up even a very small leak.

The engine is not starting on the first crank, it does take a couple of try's with the throttle all the way up.
This could be any number of things, but I would eliminate the leak and see if that improves starting.

good luck

gary

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Can't really see clearly Coney.
Is that a cock?
Does the hose just end in the bilge?
if so it is a drain cock for the water in the water cooled muffler.

As to your leak.
It can be quite frustrating tracking down a fuel leak.
One trick is to wipe everything down and wrap paper (the heavy duty wiping paper) around suspect places.
The paper will soak up the fuel and indicate a leak.
Eliminate all those that don't show a leak and then home in with talcum powder.
dust the remaining areas. The powder shows up even a very small leak.

The engine is not starting on the first crank, it does take a couple of try's with the throttle all the way up.
This could be any number of things, but I would eliminate the leak and see if that improves starting.

good luck

gary
Thank You Gary

·
Registered
23,712 Posts
I agree, the hose looks like a coolant drain. Either coolant or raw water, depending on what the engine uses.

I'd start at the fuel lines coming from the fuel tank to the engine and trace them right up to the injectors. Absolutely has to be in that path. Once the fuel gets to the engine, it shouldn't look like red raw fuel anymore. Most often it's a connector, or a filter or poorly closed vent. Don't crush them down, as too tight can actually cause a leak, but check each for appropriate tightness. A white paper towel can quickly identify raw dyed diesel fuel. Does it leak while sitting or while running? Do whichever, before checking.

If your transmission takes ATF, it can look like diesel. I've been fooled before. :)

Reactions: garymalmgren

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I agree, the hose looks like a coolant drain. Either coolant or raw water, depending on what the engine uses.

I'd start at the fuel lines coming from the fuel tank to the engine and trace them right up to the injectors. Absolutely has to be in that path. Once the fuel gets to the engine, it shouldn't look like red raw fuel anymore. Most often it's a connector, or a filter or poorly closed vent. Don't crush them down, as too tight can actually cause a leak, but check each for appropriate tightness. A white paper towel can quickly identify raw dyed diesel fuel. Does it leak while sitting or while running? Do whichever, before checking.

If your transmission takes ATF, it can look like diesel. I've been fooled before. :)
Thanks Minnie. Didn't think about the transmission fluid.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts