SailNet Community banner

21 - 40 of 92 Posts

·
Captain Obvious
2,329 Posts
Most police officers will play nice with you if you play nice with them is really what I have seen.

I did serve as a police data consultant in Florida so have spent some extended time assisting officers with court, jail and prison data systems on a State, County and Local level so I may be a bit Pro-Police due to that. In all that association I had not once encountered a situation where the police went out of their way to harass or be unfair but found quite the opposite to be true that for the most part they go out of their way to give even known convicted felons fair and decent treatment even when the person they are dealing with starts to cross the line. Unfortunately its not the hundreds of thousands of calls for service done above and beyond the call of duty that get National attention but the small handful every few months or years that fall short that are used to typecast all officers.

This situation appears to have gaps as there should have been at least notices left on the boat duplicated by the ones the officer showed up with at the door on both calls. Yes this all could just be a troll for someones amusement to get police haters all in a frenzy. The ticketing software should have triggered the visits by the police due to past due response on the tickets. For the past 20 to 30 years most police forces in any community with more that a small handful of officers will be using a dedicated police and jail management package of some kind tied in with the courts along with 911 to manage and track all of this. This isn't 1950's Mayberry.
I have found its better to consider the facts of the situation rather than make assumptions.

Here in NY we have about 1000 political units, either towns or cities. Quite often the officials make little money, do it for the prestige, or the graft. And just as often they are elected to one term and then gone, with no training ever. I'm very serious. I myself am a sworn town official. As a result of these municipal boards, the oversight of the police departments is uneven and sometimes extremely negligent, or is considered an inside track to political support. Despite this incompetent oversight, and despite the widespread ignorance of our uneducated town justices the LE officers for the most part hold up decent standards, However, there are many officers out there on boats and on land, essentially given very broad powers and very little meaningful oversight. The results of that on any group of humans will lead to some abuses of power and it does. The police on the Hudson got a lot of very bad publicity for their habit of stopping any boat with bikinis on board and many other equally egregious behaviors. As a result they themselves moderated their behavior but you never know what you may get. Many, if not most cops, if they put the lights on, write you a very expensive ticket. And enforcement is often very uneven to say the least.

So, as I wrote, I have seen both good and not so good.

·
Master Mariner
8,386 Posts
Ah. Another citizen being treated with respect and dignity by the law enforcement offices of the state of Florida! Absolutely shocking! NOT!

·
██▓▓▒▒░&
13,645 Posts
Seastar-
Mayberry is still out there. I've known a number of hard working underpaid good LEOs. And, it only takes one apple to ruin the barrel. Or perhaps you never heard of NYC's Sullivan Commission, to reform the NYPD? Or the NY Metropolitans, the first NYC PD which was so corrupt that the state shut it down after the Civil War. Replaced from scratch with the current NYPD. The NYPD doesn't like to mention that in their online history.
Long time ago a friend of mine was ticketed by a friendly town cop for not having his car registration sticker. He'd just had the car reinspected and the station was out of stickers, so they stamped his registration card--which was all that the law required at the time. Stamp or sticker, either one.
So I go to traffic court with him, he's got the certified motor vehicle laws with him. Five guys are declared guilty and told to pay the exact same ticket. he gets up, shows the "magistrate" the law, dismissed. What about the other five guys? Yeah, they had already been found guilty and had to pay--even though the magistrate AND the cop both apparently knew this was against the law. It was a racket they worked to make money, even the ABA has remarked that many if not most upstate NY villages have similar problems and if they're innocent--they're too stupid to be in office.

In the OP's case? Dunno. Never spent time fraternizing with the folks in Melbourne FL. Wouldn't want to place any bets on it though, given the way that Florida has so many places where the rich really want to get rid of the vagrant boat trash. (Or anyone who can't afford a megayacht in a proper slip.)

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
Sal - Since we were talking about a situation in Florida where I have served multiple jurisdictions I am considering the facts here and not in NYC. Yes there are small towns in Florida with only a handful of officers which I clearly stated were not as sophisticated but Melbourne, whom I have worked with on some projects, is not really a small town like Mayberry with it having a population of over 82,000 and 169 sworn police officers. Their Marine Patrol division works with the County Sheriff, Coast Guard and Homeland Security. Their City Boating code regulates where you may and may not moor a boat along with allows for abandoned or unprotected boats to be ticketed or removed and destroyed. They are concerned with people mooring boats and leaving them unattended on public waters where they weather, rot and sink to then be abandoned which is a felony offense in Florida.

This is the area in question off of Ballard Park and its not a very big waterway with plenty of room for mooring boats plus it appears there are several sunken vessels already out there so potentially a known trouble spot with a public park, businesses, marinas and yes private homes in the area:
https://www.google.com/maps/place/Ballard+Park/@28.1247476,-80.6271842,1028m/data=!3m1!1e3!4m5!3m4!1s0x88de102e87689251:0x2c5c1b3331dbdd9e!8m2!3d28.1247476!4d-80.6249955

·
Dirt Free
2,654 Posts
This is the area in question off of Ballard Park and its not a very big waterway with plenty of room for mooring boats plus it appears there are several sunken vessels already out there so potentially a known trouble spot with a public park, businesses, marinas and yes private homes in the area:
Anchor off Ballard park on occasion on the snowbird route, Last time in May 2018. Not a lot of room but have not seen any sunken boats in that anchorage since my first stop there in about 96'. I have been slightly harassed in the Melbourne area a few times while anchored. Never stayed more than one night. Not at all a welcoming area for cruisers.

Reactions: capta

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
Anchor off Ballard park on occasion on the snowbird route, Last time in May 2018. Not a lot of room but have not seen any sunken boats in that anchorage since my first stop there in about 96'. I have been slightly harassed in the Melbourne area a few times while anchored. Never stayed more than one night. Not at all a welcoming area for cruisers.
Satellite view appears to show a number of submerged boats West of the park inside the inlet so either they are very proactive about cleaning them up or you've been very fortunate to not have run into them. Check out the Google Maps Satellite view at the link I provided so you can see what I was describing.

No it does not look like a great destination or stopping point for a cruiser unless you make a reservation at one of the marinas. I have not been involved there since they dismantled the Space Shuttle program when I was working on that project with Embry-Riddle, NASA and BAE. Yes I have worn a lot of different hats over the years.

·
Dirt Free
2,654 Posts
Satellite view appears to show a number of submerged boats West of the park inside the inlet so either they are very proactive about cleaning them up or you've been very fortunate to not have run into them. Check out the Google Maps Satellite view at the link I provided so you can see what I was describing.

No it does not look like a great destination or stopping point for a cruiser unless you make a reservation at one of the marinas. I have not been involved there since they dismantled the Space Shuttle program when I was working on that project with Embry-Riddle, NASA and BAE. Yes I have worn a lot of different hats over the years.
I went to Google Maps and see only three boats at anchor and all appear to be floating, this is typical of what I have seen since 96'. It is a nice anchorage but both sides of the Indian River (Ballard Park & Dragon Point) in that area are well known among snowbirders for mild harrassment by watercops and making it difficult to get ashore even for a stroll. It is made quite clear that we are not welcome.

We usually anchor around the yellow "X"

Attachments

·
bell ringer
4,815 Posts
Heck I've anchored in Melbourne 5 times the last 2 years and never even seen a water cop. In fact I've never have a Florida water cop ask me anything, ever!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Great research, remind me not to get into an argument with you in the future! Love the no trespassing sign idea. It will be interesting to see what the judge does with the tickets. Sounds like your neighbors don't like the boat anchored in front of their homes.

Fight on!

·
██▓▓▒▒░&
13,645 Posts
I see two questionable objects in the water, not clear at all as to what they might be, SW of Ballard Park, but that's about it. Considering this is a 2019 image and there are probably wrecks from last years's hurricanes still around, the photographic "proof" says nothing, and shows reasonably unobstructed waters, IMO.

Seastar, you say this is FL not NYC. Right. Do you have any idea how many NYPD officers quit (not just retire, but quit) and move down to FL every year because they feel there is too much pressure on them to "behave" in NYC? I knew one who has on his second reprimand and talking about moving down to FL where things were more lax and he wouldn't be questioned as hard on what he did.

Then there's a report, maybe 2-3 years old, where the FDLE investigated some 2000 officer-involved shootings, including deaths, over something like the last decade. The official conclusion was that ALL OF THEM were justified, no mistakes had ever been made. Really? No mistakes at all, ever?

There's good cops, and crooked cops, and cops who should be in a simpler line of work, all over the world. Nothing exclusive about cops, or Florida, that way.

The OP's complaint was that he was being written up, without warning, for a violation that didn't really exist. That kind of bogus enforcement campaign happens, sad to say, in too many places. Its called politics.

And lacking all the facts, there's still no way to say what the real problem is.

·
Dirt Free
2,654 Posts
I see two questionable objects in the water, not clear at all as to what they might be, SW of Ballard Park, but that's about it.
Those two "objects" are day marks for the channel.

·
Registered
21,792 Posts
Unless, or until, the OP ever comes back to add a second post, the story leaves me feeling like there is something more to it. Yes, there is Prosecutorial and LEO misconduct, but it's the exception to the rule, despite all the anecdotes.

Assuming all the facts we've read are true (no reason to disbelieve), something has caused the LEOs to go to great lengths to enforce what amount to parking tickets. I am willing to assume they don't just randomly mobilize like that. Why they did is not at all clear. Could be legit reason, could be an influential waterfront owner, could be a local mission to harass the anchorage. Doubt we'll ever know.

The discussion reminds me of a great Ted Talk, given my a head of some health department in the Netherlands, as I recall. It was on what he described as ignorance. He surveyed all sorts of social, environmental, etc questions and most people answered with a bias toward the negative, when the stats showed the answer was actually positive. From memory, they were questions like.... do more or fewer woman get good jobs, do more or fewer people die from catastrophic weather events, and so on. Most people thought things were worse, when they are actual much better. His premise was, if you don't know a broad answer about society, it's probably better than you think. Good lesson.

·
Captain Obvious
2,329 Posts
Sal - Since we were talking about a situation in Florida where I have served multiple jurisdictions I am considering the facts here and not in NYC. Yes there are small towns in Florida with only a handful of officers which I clearly stated were not as sophisticated but Melbourne, whom I have worked with on some projects, is not really a small town like Mayberry with it having a population of over 82,000 and 169 sworn police officers. Their Marine Patrol division works with the County Sheriff, Coast Guard and Homeland Security. Their City Boating code regulates where you may and may not moor a boat along with allows for abandoned or unprotected boats to be ticketed or removed and destroyed. They are concerned with people mooring boats and leaving them unattended on public waters where they weather, rot and sink to then be abandoned which is a felony offense in Florida.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Ballard+Park/@28.1247476,-80.6271842,1028m/data=!3m1!1e3!4m5!3m4!1s0x88de102e87689251:0x2c5c1b3331dbdd9e!8m2!3d28.1247476!4d-80.6249955
Ok, I got it Seastar. You know, I understand that. I've been around, including to Florida many times. As I indicated in my previous post, " I can read between the lines and I... agree.." Apparently that was not clear enough for you. So -
Since you must go on insisting that you have inside information that the Melbourne police are perfect human beings in every way, and this can never be questioned, then that is the end of our discussion.

Reactions: capta

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
Those two "objects" are day marks for the channel.
Yes there are a couple of markers out in the intercoastal waterway and several more inside the river along with 4 boat shaped submerged objects in the river. If you check the street view from the bridge its not that big a channel with a lot of room for long term storage of boats to be left unattended for weeks or months except at the marinas or planned moorings.

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
Ok, I got it Seastar. You know, I understand that. I've been around, including to Florida many times. As I indicated in my previous post, " I can read between the lines and I... agree.." Apparently that was not clear enough for you. So -
Since you must go on insisting that you have inside information that the Melbourne police are perfect human beings in every way, and this can never be questioned, then that is the end of our discussion.
No not perfect just that their not all as bad as you make them out to be. The majority are pretty good and a lot better than many folks out there with an anti law enforcement chip on their shoulders want to believe. Most are just responding to a work load put out by a computer system or dispatcher that tells them take these delinquent tickets and serve them or check out a call for service. I agreed that some are bad but you do not want to be one of them standing before a review board anywhere that I have worked.

·
Master Mariner
8,386 Posts
No not perfect just that their not all as bad as you make them out to be. The majority are pretty good and a lot closer to perfect than many folks out there with an anti law enforcement chip on their shoulders want to believe. I agreed that some are bad but you do not want to be one of them standing before a review board anywhere that I have worked.
Honestly, from your posts, it does not seem you are spending enough time on the water around the state of Florida to make this statement. Any association a person might have with law enforcement personnel ashore has very little relationship to a citizen/LEO encounter on the water.
IMO, it seems that most water LEO's are the 'cowboys' of the department and stray as close to or over the line, probably much more frequently than the department as a whole. Perhaps the 'bad apples' end up in the marine department of most departments to minimize their contact with the general public?
But, since I've spent around 90% of my time in Fla on the water, perhaps I have a different view than most.

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
In my observation of the local/state LEOs on the water around here, if I could see that they actually did anything useful, I would not have a problem with them. There is a state police boat operating from my marina, same LEO all season long, the boat is well over (if not multiples of) $100k, the LEO is probably in his late 50s, grossly overweight, and I've never seen him do anything but cruise around on nice days, and conduct random safety inspections (but mostly he just cruises around burning gobs of fuel with his twin 250hp evinrudes). He seems like a nice guy from passing in the marina, but talk about a waste of taxpayer money and resources. I get the sense that he landed this sweet gig based on his seniority and he's more than happy to essentially do nothing while earning a nice salary and pension.

I guess this guy is better than the younger aggressive power-tripping not-very-smart cop, which there are plenty of around here on land. Something about the profession just calls to this type.

·
Registered
5,315 Posts
OP is a seagull - flew in, crapped all over, and flew away.

I'm as skeptical of law enforcement's intentions as anyone, but his rant has enough vagueness and apparent slant to drive a truck through. I'm even more skeptical of him, and wondering how much of an eyesore his boat must have been. While I disagree with the nasty NY/NJ millionaires with their "get out of my view" attitude toward innocent cruisers, I'm also sympathetic toward legitimate concerns that people have over derelict boats that get plopped down for months at a time with potentially inadequate ground tackle. I wouldn't want to have to fork over my tax dollars for raising these boats from the bottom, or repairing the damage that they cause when they come loose.

More facts need to be known, especially since this guy came to with an axe to grind, and has done nothing to establish any credibility with our online community.

·
Registered
2,951 Posts
Google composites several images together, what you're seeing are not sunken boats but boats that were in transit in one of the satellite images.

For instance, there isn't really an airplane at the bottom of our local lake:

Why does Google Earth show a plane at the bottom of Lake Harriet?

Here is where my boat is moored. Each boat has multiple images as it swings around the ball:
Lake Nokomis

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
OP is a seagull - flew in, crapped all over, and flew away.

I'm as skeptical of law enforcement's intentions as anyone, but his rant has enough vagueness and apparent slant to drive a truck through. I'm even more skeptical of him, and wondering how much of an eyesore his boat must have been. .......

.......More facts need to be known, especially since this guy came to with an axe to grind, and has done nothing to establish any credibility with our online community.
Yes, he joined yesterday and his one and only post is his rant posted as his "introduction" , and he's not been back since to answer our questions and offer more information.

21 - 40 of 92 Posts