SailNet Community banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi folks:

I'm new to sailboats and was wondering about a pulley.

I was looking at the masthead today and tracing the stays and marking them with colored tape so I can re-mount them later. I have an exterior pulley on the mainsail part of the mast I don't know what to do with.

I think it's either a boom support, or the mainsail lift.

This boat comes with genoa,jib and main. The jib/genoa(I'm assuming it uses the same sheet)is easy, it's the one in the front of the mast

I have two pics included.

Thanks for the help.

Attachments

·
Living the dream
350 Posts
Your pulley is called a "block" on a boat and the ones integral with the mast are called "sheaves"

Anyway, if that block is located on the rear of the mast it is most likely for a "topping lift". This is a line used to hold the end of the boom up when the mainsail is down or otherwise not installed. If the block is at the front of the mast it would be used for flying a spinnaker or similar sail.

Is the boat a trailer sailer? It could also be used as part of a mast raising rig.

·
19,488 Posts
... and these would be 'halyards', or possibly a topping/boom lift, not 'sheets'.

Sheets are used to trim the sails. ;)

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Your pulley is called a "block" on a boat and the ones integral with the mast are called "sheaves"

Anyway, if that block is located on the rear of the mast it is most likely for a "topping lift". This is a line used to hold the end of the boom up when the mainsail is down or otherwise not installed. If the block is at the front of the mast it would be used for flying a spinnaker or similar sail.

Is the boat a trailer sailer? It could also be used as part of a mast raising rig.
Thanks for the answer. It's trailerable but heavy, 3500#. It's a Halman 20. The mast is 25' 6inches I think. It weights around 70 -80 lbs. I think they raise these with the help of the boom as a jimmy pole.

I'm doing a rebuild, actually nuisance repair stuff. I'm going to include a galley, and I have to repair the groove in the mast where the gooseneck is. It
was widened here at one time, and I guess the boom got loose and tore out of the slot. I'll need to put in a track with downhaul slider in the groove to replace the damage.

·
Living the dream
350 Posts
It's possible that block is also used to help raise the mast using the boom as a "gin pole" as the line seems a bit too thick for use as a topping lift alone.

One suggestion I would advise is to colour code your halyards and lines if you can. Having them all the same colour will lead to confusion!

·
Barquito
3,653 Posts
Another possible method you may use with a bunch of unknown gear is to figure out how to rig what you need, and ignore the rest for now. As you learn to sail, and learn about your boat, the use for more of the equipment will become known. Keep in mind that the previous owner may have installed something in a way that is just stupid (trust me it happens).

1 - 6 of 6 Posts