SailNet Community banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Barkeep - Sailor's Pub
1,951 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well... woke up this morning... Had my coffee... was below.. and kept hearing noise... I couldn't figure it out at all.. Turns out that it's a duck living in my port cockpit compartment. :eek:

Mouse Indeed....please.

Ok.. Let's get on with it.

Where do I put the peanut butter and how big does the bucket have to be?

I mean... eggs and everything. I tossed a few more rags in there.. she promptly pulled them to her. The poor eggs are sitting on the fiberglass and that's what all the banging is...

Now what the hell do I do?

craig

·
Barkeep - Sailor's Pub
1,951 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
There you go, thats what that piece of pipe is for! Hit the s.o.b with it!
Duck Removal Tool!

I just don't have the heart though.... I'm a big fat wimp. There's gonna be Duck Crap everywhere isn't there...

·
SaltwaterSuzi/CapnLarry
609 Posts
Had that happen once in the boat yard where I work. A duck had built her nest in the coils of line which was the anchor rode. My assigned task was to remove the shrink wrap from the boat.

When I encountered the duck with her threatening defense of her nest, I decided not to risk my pretty face and attractive countenance on an angered duck. I got the yard manager, and asked what the policy was regarding sitting ducks.

He, being much braver than I, simply walked up and picked up the duck and tossed it overboard. Then he cracked one of the eggs to check gestation - and there was none - yolk all over the deck. So we threw the eggs into the water, cleaned up the mess. And we all lived happily ever after.

I still see the duck on occasion. She narrows her beady little eyes at me and then we laugh. Ah, the memories of old times.

·
Registered
87,723 Posts
I had that happen at the beginning of last season when I first arrived at the marina. A duck made it's home in one of the coaming compartments and promptly laid 8 eggs. It would leave when we left the dock and promtly come back when we returned. I didn't have the heart to throw it out. However, some time later I started to back the boat in instead of bow first and that confused the duck enough that she couldn't find the cockpit again. I waited a couple of weeks but those eggs got pretty bad and had to go. Never saw the little bugger again but I'm sure she crapped on my boat to get even.

·
Registered
140 Posts
I was down in New Orleans recently and had this awesome duck confit pizza with eggs and wilted arugala. Sounds like you got half the ingredients already!

·
Barkeep - Sailor's Pub
1,951 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
HAhahah!

I'm was waiting for a few recipies...

Seems she's abandoned the place.. left her eggs to freeze all day.

Might take this opportunity to move the nest to a more appropriate location.

·
Registered
4,507 Posts
How did the duck get it, and if it has already laid eggs, how come you didn't notice before?

·
Barkeep - Sailor's Pub
1,951 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hey Free.
Get in? Well it's a combing compartment. Outside. Guess she just kinda waltzed right in there...

I don't know why I didn't notice... I wasn't on the boat for a few days... since Tuesday... But I didn't notice on Saturday night either... wasn't till Sunday morning.. I heard the eggs rolling. And saw the duck peering out at me.. heh.

·
Registered
4,507 Posts
Think about it, if you came onto the boat at night and the same thing happened, you be changing your shorts, just about now......

·
Barkeep - Sailor's Pub
1,951 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yeah.. no kidding.. it was freaky enough in the morning!

·
Telstar 28
43,289 Posts
LOL... a duck in a cockpit locker... You need better latches on those lockers.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts