SailNet Community banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Telstar 28
1,000 Posts
It helps that they're considerably easier to haul up the stick and generally not too fearful of new experiences or heights.. :D

·
Telstar 28
1,000 Posts
The view is directly proportional to the potential for splatting the human body... the higher the splat potential*, the higher it looks... that's why the same distance over water looks far less than that same distance above pointy rocks. :)

* Often referred to as the pucker factor, due to the way it causes certain orifices to pucker up tighter...

Why is it that it looks higher from the top down, than the bottom up? :)

·
October Moon B43
400 Posts
A couple of years ago while in Annapolis I watched a rigger go up the mast of a 49' er. He was like a monkey. Something I'll never expect I'll be able to do :)

·
Registered
37 Posts
MJBROWN -
the difference in how high it looks is perspective. Take the 3 meter diving board forexample. assuming you are 6'tall. standing under it looking up to the platform, you are only looking up four feet. standing on it looking down to the water looks like 16' .

·
Telstar 28
1,000 Posts

·
October Moon B43
400 Posts
adamtroyg, I agree on your perspective comments. The real issue isn't with falling, it's the sudden stop at the bottom that would bother me the most :)
Actually I've been up a few times. The more I do so the less concerned I am. Still not comfortable though.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts