SailNet Community banner

21 - 40 of 219 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Reality Check

Thanks Camaraderie, that thread put a reality check on me. Why spend the blood,sweat and tears...and money to build a nice aluminum that some pirate or 3rd world government might like better once I start cruising the southern seas? Probably better off finding a decent salvage hull from this list and spending the next few years re-building it. Got my eye on a SC 31, just don't know if it would be big enough for me and the misses for an extended period, probably better stick w/ something in 38'-42' range. Have many hours of cruising Texas coast and bays in my Hunter 27 before I'm ready to strike out across blue water anyway. Thanks again

·
Sailor
845 Posts
Does anyone know what the qualities are that a boat has to have to make the list or the qualities it has to have (or nor have) to be rejected?

Gaz

·
moderate?
13,875 Posts
Plumper...they have to be safe and built to stand up to the rigors of LONG TERM blue water cruising in the author's opinion and not be subject to significant and expensive known repair issues as they age. Remember this is ONE very experienced and respected authors' list. It does not include my boat so he is an idiot! :D

·
Hitchin' a ride
3,191 Posts
Plumper...they have to be safe and built to stand up to the rigors of LONG TERM blue water cruising in the author's opinion and not be subject to significant and expensive known repair issues as they age. Remember this is ONE very experienced and respected authors' list. It does not include my boat so he is an idiot! :D
My thoughts exactly! No CS! What if your RV isn't on the list?

·
Sailor
845 Posts
Funny, mine is on the list but I have reservations about it because of the amount of glass in the pilothouse. Respected or not, I guess we all have our own points of view.

·
Registered
919 Posts
No mention of Swans except to say recent models aren't well suited. I would submit that slightly older models are fast but also built to cross oceans.

·
Telstar 28
43,289 Posts
Obviously an incomplete list, since it doesn't have a lot of multihulls that have been used for LD cruising. If the PDQs are on the list, there's no reason the Maine Cats, Geminis and several others in that size range shouldn't be on the list. There are a fair number of trimarans that also would qualify. Several of the Farrier designs, the larger Corsairs, the larger Quorning Dragonflies should also be on the list.

·
moderate?
13,875 Posts
Because they are French! :D W/ M. Sarkozy now in charge, perhaps next years ratings will include one.

Seriously though...there are no Hunters, Bene's, Catalinas, Bavarias etc. on the list either so it is safe to assume that the author feels that production boats that are built and designed PRIMARILY as coastal cruisers, are not suitable for extended ocean voyaging and the wear and tear that entails over time. Remember...his list is not "can this boat cross and ocean".

·
Registered
5,607 Posts
"Oyster 42, 45, 485,49,53, 55, 56 61, 62, 63, 66, 70, 82, 100 www.oystermarine.com ENG NZL Some have
inside steering. Attractive, expensive and first class! Weak resale value and larger
models make this an excellent, though expensive choice."

Not sure I understand the idea that they are expensive but have weak resale value. Can I assume they mean expensive "if bought new"?
And why would a highly rated boat like this have weak resale value?

·
Super Moderator
6,759 Posts
I'm a bit..

I'm a bit surprised to see many of the Ray Wall designed Camper Nicholson's but none of the Ray Wall designed Canadian Sailcraft boats. My 36T has well over 30k ocean miles and shows little to zero signs of fatigue or wear!

I'll have to agree that it's a somewhat of an incomplete list..

·
Registered
17 Posts
Certainly a useful list for anyone in the market for a cruising boat (such as I). I could question a few on the list (J's for cruising?) and know of a couple (Aries 32 and Fuji 32) that are not on. Apparently there never were many of these outside of Asia. Any comments on either the Aries (long keel & canoe stern) or the Fuji (cutaway forefoot long keel)?

·
Telstar 28
43,289 Posts
I believe that they made up to a 35 or 37' boat in the Southern Cross line. If you like the SC31, you might want to keep an eye out for her larger sisters.
Thanks Camaraderie, that thread put a reality check on me. Why spend the blood,sweat and tears...and money to build a nice aluminum that some pirate or 3rd world government might like better once I start cruising the southern seas? Probably better off finding a decent salvage hull from this list and spending the next few years re-building it. Got my eye on a SC 31, just don't know if it would be big enough for me and the misses for an extended period, probably better stick w/ something in 38'-42' range. Have many hours of cruising Texas coast and bays in my Hunter 27 before I'm ready to strike out across blue water anyway. Thanks again

·
Registered
87,723 Posts
Anyone have any experience with a Cal 39? The second generation from 78-82 or so..looking to liveaboard and circumnavigate with a fast, sturdy boat.

·
Registered
87,723 Posts
Columbia Challenger -older plastic boat, classic turtle-back deck, dirt cheap to repair -what like a hundred bucks for standing rigging, cramped, minimal storage. If it ends up on the marbles, so what 'the wind is free.'

·
Registered
12 Posts
Cal 39

Google it - I know I have seen articles on it in the last year or so, maybe in Bluewater sailing mag? Anyway, regarded as a very good value for your purpose, especially the model with the private aft stateroom.

Cal 34 1978
sv Breakaway

·
Telstar 28
43,289 Posts
224-

Welcome to sailnet... but you're basically posting off topic, and really should start your own thread about the Bendytoy... also read this post to get the most out of your time on sailnet.

You'll get much better results and not clog this thread up with off-topic material if you start your own thread.

To start a new thread, go to the forum which it belongs in, in this case "Buying a Boat" and then click on the "Forum Tools" drop down menu in the forum title bar and select "New Post".

21 - 40 of 219 Posts