SailNet Community banner

161 - 180 of 219 Posts

·
Registered
168 Posts
I think an argument can be made for a Tartan 27 in light of the other small boats included - Triton, Dana, Albin Vega, etc. Several have crossed oceans, they are faster than many, solidly built, ...

·
Landlocked Member
25 Posts
The Mahina list has CS 36, but looking around on this forum there's a couple times people have only mentioned the Traditional. Are the differences between the Traditional and the Merlin that great that they would make the Merlin unsuitable for ocean crossing?

·
Registered
96 Posts
Kudos for Passage 450 by Hunter

One of the best values for the money are the Hunter Passage 450 made from 1999-2002. These are 28000 lb displacement vessels strung with Kevlar and are very seaworthy for a 45 foot vessel. The ride is incredible and very reassuring in heavy seas.

·
Sailor & Member
27 Posts
It is interesting - where some boats on the list, I wouldn't have considered when looking for our current boat.

With 2 years experience with our 1986 Celestial 48', I think it's a worthy candidate for the blue water list based on comfort, strength, quality construction, sailing characteristic & performance, safety and security.

Read the reviews Vessels: Sail Reviews: Celestial 48 Ketch | MadMariner.com

·
Registered
2 Posts
Mr. Grumpy

Can someone please tell me where I can get a short list od suitable bluewater boats with pilot house (wife insists) that still sail well and be suitable for our hot climate here in the pacific , Fiji

·
Registered
7 Posts
Dear Mr. Grumpy

Check out the New TARTAN 4700 or the 4400. There is a nice 4400 in Los Angeles area. Blue Pacific Boating is the new TARTAN/C&C Dealership there.
Cheers!

·
Registered
9 Posts
If the Fuji 32 is included, the the Fuji 35 and Fuji 45 should also be on the list. Granted there are not many 45's available, but that didn't seem to be a criteria. We are cruising one, and know at least 3 other Fuji 45's bluewater cruising.

·
Randy Hines
179 Posts
I acquired our 1973 Allied Princess 36' ketch last May , and have sailed her Lake Huron in 10' seas , she handled easy motion good control , beautiful boat everything we read about her totally accurate, little tender at first then hardens right up, good manners , solid built lil ship, love it!

·
Registered
7 Posts
The following boats should be added which are all variations on the Whitby 42 designed by Ted Brewer:

Brewer 12.8 - Redesign of Whitby 42 by Ted Brewer and built by Fort Myers Yacht & Shipbuilding. Changes included Cutter rig instead of ketch rig, combination keel centerboard instead of full keel, slightly different dimensions. These boats were commissioned by a group from the Knickerbocker Yacht Club, LI for the express purpose of sailing in the Bahamas.

Whitby 55 - This was an extended version of the Whitby 42 built by Whitby Boatworks, ON, CAN. There were only a small number built.

Brewer 42 - This boat is listed as CAN in your list. This is incorrect, it was built in the US by Ft. Meyers but is the same design as the Whitby 42 built by Whitby Boatworks.

Brewer 44 - This is another redesign of the Whitby 42 by Ted Brewer and built by Ft. Meyers, not Whitby Boatworks. 2' were added to the LOA which incorporated a sugar scoop transom, a fin keel with skeg-hung rudder, and some boats were rigged as Cutters while others as ketches. The additional 2' allowed for a larger owner's aft stateroom.

·
Picnic Sailor
2,119 Posts
This list has again been updated on the Mahina Site.( Jan 2013).

Jimandtricia- Not sure what he has against your boat, the KP44 is also not on the list but has been acknowledged in this thread( and personally endorsed by our own Jeff H as being a good choice for cruising).

I know of of two KP-46's doing some pretty successful bluewater cruising.

·
Registered
1 Posts
An updated list, as of January 2013, of Mahina.com's "Boats to Consider for Offshore Cruising" can be found on the site about 2/3 the way down their page titled "Selecting a Boat for Offshore Cruising".

161 - 180 of 219 Posts