SailNet Community banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Possibly improving
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm having trouble with basically all of my electronics at this point and I think that it may be time to replace with an entirely new package. The boat is a 2004 Jeanneau Sun Odyssy. We are racing on it more and more and the lack of wind, accurate speed and depth is becoming an issue. Has any ever replaced everything rather that fix and repair as needed? I'm not sure where to start, if I decide to start over.

Thanks

·
Registered
2,355 Posts
Hey,

IMHO it's better to start from scratch than to change out parts piece meal. That assumes you have the budget for a total redo.

What sort of information are you looking for? What is your budget? Are you looking for basic depth/speed/wind, that plus plotter? Do you want a new VHF? AIS? Autopilot? Multiple data repeaters? The sky is the limit!

Do you have a favorite, or most hated, vendor? I would recommend you stick with one vendor if possible.

For me personally, I would go with B&G (which is part of Simrad). I would start with the basic depth/speed/wind. I would add a 7" or 9" plotter, the Zeus if I had the budget, the Vulcan if not. I would use the V50 VHF and AIS receive unit.

Good luck,
Barry

1 - 2 of 2 Posts