SailNet Community banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Would appreciate input on changing from a Yacht Specialities to new Edson pedestal and steering. Did you use a quadrant or a radial drive. Did you opt for something other than Edson. Edson quotes a radial drive. ( the smallest) and not a quadrant. Does anyone know what is in the newer 31.

The boat is a 1989 31 #56.
Also if anyone would like parts from the YS they are yours for the asking plus any shipping.
Appreciate any input or suggestions.

·
Registered
103 Posts
McGray,

I had my pedestal sandblasted and powdercoated and it looks great. What I need is the two plastic sleeves that protect the pedestal guard where it goes through the (top guard?, yoke? - the flat three lobed thing with 3 holes for the pedestal guard) I cannot find any the right size.

John

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Don't have those sleeves. Older mod to the pedestal changed the guard and the sleeves were lost. Sorry.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Is your YS system giving you problems? I cannot remove the throttle and transmission housing from mine due to four frozen screws. The switch seemed daunting to me so I am waiting until my next time on the hard before doing so.

IMHO...I would go with a gear driven quadrant over the cable one. Less chance of breakage.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The transmission cable was stiff and not smooth. Despite trying everything imaginable, I couldn't get it all apart. Did replace with Edson but went the radial drive from the YS. Actually not that big a deal. Think hardest was removing the old equipment. Used Tef Gel liberally on the new fittings, even if not dissimilar metals.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts