SailNet Community banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
The battery cables will not reach my battery. (the cables are about 6 feet shy of the battery box which is forward of the rear bulkhead in my cal 27.
I have purchased cable extenders
battery-bank-cable-extender-from-professional-mariner

I have to wire the outboard cable to the extenders behind the rear bulkhead. My concern is that this is also where I keep the gas tank for the outboard.

The gas tank is a 5 gallon outboard gas tank
outboard-fuel-system-package-from-moeller

The rear bulkhead where the tank is is vented by two passive cowl vents.

Is this setup feasible?

Or should I just electric tape the outboard battery cables, tuck them away somewhere safe in the back compartment and just pull start the motor?

Anyone?

·
Telstar 28
1,000 Posts
Why would you use battery cable extenders instead of just replacing them with longer cables??

·
██▓▓▒▒░&
13,645 Posts
SD, I'll bet he would gladly replace the cables if you were kind enough to pay for the new ones and make the trip out to replace them.

Extensions should work, just make Real Damned Sure they are connected up tight, and the cable size is adequate for the resulting longer cable run. Odds are the original cable size may be too thin now for optimum operation.

Tape well to insulate the joints, and I'd over-wrap them with some friction tape and rubber tape (which is how electricians worked before PVC tape) to add a little bulk to that. You don't want to risk those connections sparking to anything, forget the gasoline vapors they can set fire to the boat if they short out, even without vapors.

And when you have time...consider re-evaluating the whole electrical system, in terms of voltage losses, cable sizes, etc.

·
Telstar 28
1,000 Posts
If you have to use extensions, instead of taping the joints, I would put adhesive lined heat shrink tubing over the the joints... :)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts