SailNet Community banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
981 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Upgrading a ''''93 Hunter 27

I'm looking at buying a '93 Hunter 27 for my first cruising boat, but before I take the big step, I'd like to know if some upgrading is feasible. Can anyone advise me if the following changes are realistic and if so, what kind of dollars would each take:
-change tiller to wheel steering
-change portapottie to marine head with holding tank
-add roller furling
-add shore power adequate for portable AC
-add H&C pressurized water
Also, where could I find parts (or hopefully, full kits) to make these changes.
Thanks,
Dave…

·
Registered
981 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·

I think that if you are handy enough and determined enough, and have some electrical and mechanical knowhow you can do all of those things. JSI/sailnet can fix you up with many of those items...just plug in the name of the item and search it. You might have to call them regarding the roller furler, but much of the other items they will have. Other of the items can be found in Defender, BOAT/US, or West Marine Catalogues.

But you should be aware that you are taking on some dauntingly difficult projects... I wonder if it wouldn''t be advisable to maybe step up in size to a boat that already has those items on it. What you want to do is going to really dent the old piggy bank!

·
Registered
981 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Jeff,

Talk about thorough responses! You've given me all I need to know, for sure.

Overall, I think you're right. Leave it simple. I will be sailing this boat on Lake Lanier (a fairly large lake, but not really a true cruising locale), so I'll leave the boat in a day sailor mode, and forget the fancy features until I retire in 3 or 4 years and move to the Tampa Bay area. Then I'll get the boat I +really+ want - something 35' or larger, with AC, a real shower, etc., that will be suitable for spending a week or two cruising around the Gulf Coast.

The one idea that I will probably implement is the head. I just don't relish schlepping a 50 pound hunk of plastic all the way along the pier and up the hill to empty it. West Marine sells an integral unit (head and tank together) than can be installed so as to allow pumping out, which I will look into.

Again, thanks.

Dave…

·
Registered
981 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Dear Rob and Jeff,

I started looking into the specifics of those upgrades. You were right and then some. Wheel steering is $1500 just for the kit, roller furling is over a thousand. Clearly if I want those items it''s best to find them already installed.

Again, many thanks.

Dave...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts