SailNet Community banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
5,172 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My "new" 2001 boat has a mix of electronics.
A Raymarine
st60 depth, speed, autohelm, multifunction at the chart table.
Garmin 742
Ticktac for wind.

The ST60 Depth and speed have burned out screens and are unreadable.

What are my options to upgrade, and or fix and get everything to work together or replace?

·
Registered
3,295 Posts
For the time being. easiest fix.

If the Auto-Helm works leave it alone. Same with the Tictac.

Keep an eye on Ebay and replace the display heads for your depth and speed Provided the transducers are OK
I saw both your needed display heads for sale the other day. ( listings appear frequently) Pop out the heads, put the replacements in. No holes to cut, no transducers to replace, no new wire runs.

Then:

I might move the 742 to the Helm in a navpod and consider adding a compatible Garmin radar unit for your sailing grounds. ( if you're staying in Conn. and cruising New England waters. ) Along with an AIS transmit and receive. I've paired those three with Garmin Units.

At the nav station you can use your laptop with any number of charting products including open CPN. Or, use an Ipad with Navionics or similar.

My Garmin 740 series at the Helm, also connects via Wifi with my old Samsung Tablet So I can take it below and monitor the helm, if I wanted.

Later:

Sail the boat for a year, and see what else develops in the way of projects ($$) . You'll also know better what you like, what you don't like etc after a season. As far as a total upgrade of all the navigation electronics. I haven't kept abreast of the latest market offerings to have an opinion.

I will say that I've really never felt the need to have everything connected other than my Plotter, radar and AIS.
I'm fine with the others as stand alone pieces.

·
Registered
22,716 Posts
get everything to work together
As a rule, I find getting disparate OEMs equipment to work together to be frustrating. Finger pointing. I can be done, if you know what you're doing well enough to troubleshoot or prove where the problem lies.

·
Registered
4,271 Posts
In contrast, we have done 3 complete electronic refits using a dog's breakfast of equipment from different manufacturers and have had no problems with installation or support. None of the manufacturers have ever finger pointed, and seem to take for granted that their equipment will be used in mixed environments. When troubleshooting, the most any manufacturer ever asked was to isolate the unit in question on the network to confirm it is the one having issues - but that is just basic troubleshooting and would be the same if all equipment was from the same manufacturer.

It is all plug and play now with standardized connectors, and makes no difference what the label says regarding installation or troubleshooting. Raymarine remains an outlier here using proprietary connectors and converters, although their newest stuff seems to be slowly capitulating to industry standards.

If you want to get going quickly, then replace the burned out head units with eBay used gear. However, you will be chasing that problem ongoing. These are very old instruments now, and time works against them no matter how "new" the replacements are.

If you want to set the boat up for robust electronics for the next decade, then buy new models. Doesn't have to be all at once - replace the speed and depth instruments with a single Triton or i70 now, the Tacktick with a new masthead unit when that goes (and it will go soon) with possibly a second Triton or i70. If you decide to get a radar in the future, then upgrade the plotter, otherwise run it until you want a new one. If the AP works well, keep it until it does not or you want more/better integration with the rest of the instruments. Personally, I'd add an AIS transceiver.

Mark

·
Registered
3,295 Posts
No idea, how flush with cash you are after purchasing a new boat, and having additional work done. I suspect there will be a lot of wish-list items and essentials that will pop up over the next few seasons.

I'd list all my priorities. Depth to me is essential/ critical Speed less so. You get speed over ground via your GPS. The Speed through the water just tells you if you have a current, and perhaps how much, which is almost intuitive and a given in some waters like the L.I.S. A new speed set-up would likely run you over a grand. You could buy three or more used ST-60 display heads for that $. If you were going to buy a new unit, at all, I'd focus on depth 1st. To me, an AIS transceiver would also be high on my list.

·
Registered
2,758 Posts
A Raymarine
Garmin 742
Ticktac for wind.

What are my options to upgrade, and or fix and get everything to work together or replace?
You can still get Raymarine ST70 displays, and they are more than likely compatible with your old transducers as they both run on the Seatalk network. If the rest of the instruments are still working there is no rush to replace any of them.

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5,644 Posts
You can network any device which is nmea 183 or nmea 2000. You can network them on the same N2k network and there are converters to convert 183 to 2000.

Having said that the new N2K devices like the B&G Zeus tritons are very powerful and readable.

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
Hello,

As mentioned, the easiest thing to do would be to replace the ST60 display units. You can buy brand new i50 displays - either one i50 depth and one i50 speed, OR one i50 multi.
Defender sells them for $300-450 or so.

You can probably move the multifunction from the chart table to the cockpit and then you can at least see the data.

Buy one i50 multi for $450 and you're back in business.

I would also network the Raymarine depth and speed, Ticktac wind, and Garmin unit. I'm not sure about ticktac but it's super easy to conver the Raymarine Seatalk to NMEA200 and connect the Garmin. If your autopilot is currently networked to the instruments then that will also be connected to the plotter.

A low cost option would be to network the instruments together and display the depth and boat speed on the Garmin.

Once I did that I would sail the boat as is for at least a year and then decide if you want to update or upgrade and then take a bigger picture.

Personally I have had no problems connecting Garmin, Raymarine, B&G, Simrad together with NMEA2000 networking.

Barry

A Raymarine
Garmin 742
Ticktac for wind.

·
Master Mariner
8,770 Posts
We are nearing the point where we'll be needing a complete new set up, as nothing I have now (2003) will integrate with the new setups.
I want the MFD, but would prefer not a touch screen, which seems impossible. I need the radar to integrate with the MFD and I'd really like one of the new sonar units, though just the transducer for those is terribly expensive ($1,000.00) it seems.
It seems nobody makes a 10" display any longer, so I'll either have to go to 9" or 12" which will be a pain for the present NavPod.
And to top it all off, it looks like I'll need to buy all new chart chips.
So, the research has started, until I'm bleary eyed, then I quit for the day then beginning anew another morning.I hate this part of boat owning.
If anyone knows a place where the various manufacturer's systems are all put together, with the pluses and minuses of each, I'd sure like a head's up. Even a retailer who could do the same honestly, would be appreciated.

·
Registered
5,644 Posts
I got a deal on a B&G Zeus T7 which I mounted in a cockpit winch to get a bigger picture than I had with a Garmin IQue3600 which was a PDA w/ blue charts and streets. I loved the IQ3600 interface.... zooming was the same as it is on a smart phone.... had a stylus too. The T7 was a big jump in size but it is a hybrid interface... touch screen with a few dials. All I need the cockpit plotter for... was to see the boat on a chart... the track and the heading line. I don't use that plotter for waypoint entry.
My ancient Ray C80 is at the nav desk below and has 4" square data repeaters on the cockpit dash. Radar is displayed down there... and AIS. Radar belongs in the cockpit as does AIS. I don't like touch screen interfaces if they are like the Zeus. No touch screen plotters!
Next step would be to set and N2k with the Zeus T7 moved to the nav desk... 4 new Triton 2s for data on the dash... But I haven't found a plotter for the cockpit with an interface I like... but I haven't looked to be fair.
As the boat is going to be sold and everything is working now...I will not do the upgrade... which is all planned except for the cockpit plotter.

·
Registered
3,295 Posts
Aspect ratios have changed on plotters, so physical dimensions aren't very comparable to older models. Sort of like screen sizes of TVs old to new.

Mark
Right, However, I don't know which plotter he currently has. So, he'll have to compare dimensions. I just tossed out a possibility. It was the dial vs touch screen that I was mostly pointing out.

·
Registered
4,271 Posts
I don't like touch screen interfaces if they are like the Zeus. No touch screen plotters!
I've always had the same concerns about touch screen plotters and never planned to have one. Then we bought a boat with a Garmin plotter that was strictly touch screen only. It worked fine in all conditions sailing from Antigua to Bahamas to Georgia, where we changed it for a Furuno touch screen only plotter after agonizing again about getting a sole touch screen interface. This one has also worked fine so far.

Today I was washing the cockpit with the plotter on. For kicks, I sprayed it with the hose directly on its screen and it didn't respond to that, then I operated it with wet soapy hands and it worked perfectly and didn't miss a beat.

The one time it hasn't worked well for me so far was after doing a lot of gelcoat work where I wet sanded my fingerprints off and dried out my finger tips with solvents. I had difficulties for a few days working the plotter. But to be fair, I also had problems working my phone and the trackpad on my computer. And holding onto anything in general.

I'm starting to change my mind about touch screen plotters. Which is good because that horse has already left the barn, I guess.

Mark

·
Registered
22,716 Posts
I'm starting to change my mind about touch screen plotters. Which is good because that horse has already left the barn, I guess.
Same here. I was not a fan, when they hit the scene. Then I bareboated with an Axiom and found it both reliable and feature rich. Just this past summer, I updated the entire boat, which included two touch screen plotters. They also have knobs and buttons, but it turns out I never use them. Touch only. I'm converted.

·
Registered
5,644 Posts
Same here. I was not a fan, when they hit the scene. Then I bareboated with an Axiom and found it both reliable and feature rich. Just this past summer, I updated the entire boat, which included two touch screen plotters. They also have knobs and buttons, but it turns out I never use them. Touch only. I'm converted.
I suppose one needs to learn the interface and how to navigate commands. I don't doubt that they have worked out the accuracy of the touch... and people use touch screens with phones and mobile devices. My Zeus has a dial for zooming... I use it.
I suppose it matters what commands you regularly use...such as zoom, pan, return to boat... or move cursor. And it seems a good idea to be able to easily split the screen into multiple windows and easily determine what each window displays...
It's all about an intuitive powerful user interface.

·
Registered
22,716 Posts
it seems a good idea to be able to easily split the screen into multiple windows
Not only does the new tech allow for split screen, but you can customize your own screen. The dozen or so standard screens are good, but we all have our idiosyncracies. I set up one data only page that I like running at the nav station. STW, SOG, COG, Heading, true and apparant wind angle, etc, etc.

Reactions: SanderO

·
Registered
5,644 Posts
Not only does the new tech allow for split screen, but you can customize your own screen. The dozen or so standard screens are good, but we all have our idiosyncracies. I set up one data only page that I like running at the nav station. STW, SOG, COG, Heading, true and apparant wind angle, etc, etc.
The split screens is an option on my ancient ray C80... but it should be more robust and easy peasy to configure the screens.

·
Registered
5,172 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Are there any vendors that are less evil than the others? Raymarine for example I hear has a propriatary network.

·
Registered
4,271 Posts
It's not the network protocol or topology that is proprietary, it is the connectors. And RM also does some funky things with converters for stuff like depth, speed, and wind, that make you buy extra components not needed for any other manufacturer. These converter pods also produce an extra failure mode and difficulty in troubleshooting. They have been slowly moving toward standardized connectors, and you can buy non-RM speed, depth, and wind transducers that don't need their stupid converter boxes and will still work with their equipment given a minor bit of fiddling with a networking converter or special cabling.

Personally, I don't like Raymarine gear for this reason alone, although many love it. Their plotters are nice though, and their newest radar isn't bad. I like the i70 instrument, although I think the B&G Triton is a better one. Their current autopilots have a great sensor, but sub-par steering algorithms and control. I like their electromechanical drive unit, and prefer it over other hydraulic linear units.

I also don't like Garmin for several reasons. Their plotters are beautiful presentations with the nicest looking cartography, and are about the easiest and most intuitive interface, but that is all surface stuff. If you want to do anything beyond the simple stuff with them, they just fall on their face and can't do it. Their radars are probably the worst of all the other choices. Their wind instruments are definitely the worst of all, and their autopilots are terrible on sailboats compared to the other major brands. Their AP's are great for hydraulically steered power boats, though. I do think power boats are Garmin's major marketing focus.

Of all the manufacturers, Garmin is the worst at planned obsolescence and customer distain. Don't expect them to support anything they produce today for more than a couple of years or so. Furuno is by far the best at this - they actively support equipment 3 generations deep (and they are the most conservative of all in bringing new generations forward).

FWIW, we've owned B&G, Simrad, Furuno, Raymarine, and Garmin plotters, radars, and instruments on our boats - along with other brands of equipment like AIS, VHF, transducers, GPS, wind sensors, etc. We have gotten a feel for much of what we like and dislike about specific equipment and brand implementation.

Panbo is always a good place to get some idea of different equipment in use.

And I wouldn't call any of them evil, although I've come close to that with Raymarine and Garmin at times. They all try to focus more in specific markets, while covering all of the markets. Some are just better in certain places or specific equipment than others.

Mark

1 - 20 of 27 Posts