SailNet Community banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Umm, this is gonna sound dumb, but I just bought a used Saturn compass online and got it in what appers to be an inverted state.With the inclination marks down it will not right itself it stops as if it were being held "upsidedown". Is there some sort of gimble trick I have to do? If I turn it so the inclination marks are at the top (upsidedown) it settles right in as if it were supposed to be that way.
Does anyone know how these things work? Can I right it?
:confused:

·
Registered
288 Posts
Sounds to me like a compass designed to be placed over the skipper's bunk so that he can look up see what the course is when off watch. Some boats I've raced on had those. Also useful for singlehanders using windvanes. PM me if you don't want it and prefer to sell it.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Could it be that the ball is mounted upside down in the housing? I have a Suunto bulkhead compass that's actually on a bracket. It has to be disassembled to mount (bulkhead, bracket or whatever). I'm thinking that who ever you purchased it from may have removed it from their bulkhead and reassembled it incorrectly (i.e. upside down). Just a thought.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Solved !!!!

Well, I used up all my intelligence thinking about the problem. So my manstincts kicked in :cool: and while I had it positioned at the point I needed it to go past I WHACKED it on the side... It then righted itself. :D

1 - 7 of 7 Posts