SailNet Community banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
5,116 Posts
Times change... countries are entitled to having their own economic system... but all should respect human rights. One of them is freedom to associate and travel.

·
Old soul
4,553 Posts
From a purely selfish Canadian perspective, I’m not displeased. The embargo and all the silliness has been a boon to Canadian business and Canadian tourists. So… carry on my American friends. We Canucks will continue to keep those Chinese at bay :wink

BTW, I really think this is a silly and harmful policy that is being tightened by the current American government for the crassest of political reasons. But that’s politics these days :mad:.

·
Registered
21,812 Posts
On our doorstep, neither Canada, nor Mexico, can be fully bought and paid for by adversaries of the US. Cuba can be and has been. That’s the geopolitical security issue and they simply are not a threat to Canada. How well these policies are working or how appropriate, is fair debate. However, no Congress or Executive branch is going to look the other way, while they maintain affinity with our adversaries. Some form of restriction will remain.

Puerto Rico has a serious opportunity they’ve never been able to get out of their own way to take advantage of.

·
Administrator
7,167 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Please read the big words. I know this takes brain power....

WASHINGTON – Today, the Department of the Treasury’s Office of Foreign Assets Control (OFAC) unveiled amendments to the Cuban Assets Control Regulations (CACR) to further implement the President’s foreign policy on Cuba. These
amendments
complement changes to the Department of Commerce’s Bureau of Industry and Security (BIS) Export Administration Regulations (EAR), which Commerce is also unveiling today. These regulatory changes were announced on April 17, 2019 and include restrictions on non-family travel to Cuba.
https://home.treasury.gov/news/press-releases/sm700

Please note Treasury.gov is a .GOV website. It's not CNN so it's not fake!

·
Registered
21,812 Posts
Mark, what’s the rub? The change/amendment is to remove person-to-person exemptions to a law that’s been in effect for decades. It’s not a new law. Someone debating that?

21 - 26 of 26 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.