SailNet Community banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Old soul
4,553 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This just in from Waterway Guide Nav Alerts:

Partial Government Shutdown Affects NOAA Charts

Due to the lapse in federal appropriations, NOAA has reduced the level of service for nautical charting updates. Effective immediately and until further notice, all updates to the Raster Nautical Chart and paper chart suites of charts have been suspended. ENCs will continue to be updated weekly with chart corrections in the Local Notice to Mariners (LNM-USCG) and Notice to Mariners (NtM - NGA). Other sources of chart updates, from hydrographic surveys, shoreline surveys, dredging, new construction, and regulatory changes are not being applied to the ENC suite, nor are they being analyzed for potential local notice to mariners reports. US Coast Pilot has not been updated since December. Mariners should exercise additional caution while sailing in coastal waters, as nautical charts and publications will be increasingly out of date. All NOAA charts and publications will remain available through normal distribution channels, and continue to meet carriage requirements.
I also see alerts popping up in certain NOAA sections, like "Parts of the U.S. Government are closed. This site is being updated, however, only with furlough-related information to support NOAA employees; NOAA websites and social media channels necessary to protect lives and property are also being maintained.”

·
bell ringer
4,817 Posts
This just in from Waterway Guide Nav Alerts:

Partial Government Shutdown Affects NOAA Charts

I also see alerts popping up in certain NOAA sections, like "Parts of the U.S. Government are closed. This site is being updated, however, only with furlough-related information to support NOAA employees; NOAA websites and social media channels necessary to protect lives and property are also being maintained.”
NOW this needs to end! It's effecting important stuff :devil

·
Old soul
4,553 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
NOW this needs to end! It's effecting important stuff :devil
Exactly! When it affects ME it becomes important ;).

(Actually, this is how most of us usually operate.)

Nice to see your gvt will be back at work — at least for another three weeks. Then the fun begins again I guess.

·
Old as Dirt!
3,485 Posts
While NOAA Chart Up-dating and LNM's are important, one can liikely live without them for awhile. A much more important impact is the effect on the US Coast Guard and their ability to operate. Considering that compensation rates for Military service members are already relatively low, the Coast Guard men and women don't have the ability to build up much if any "rainy day" funds to cover their needs in the event of pay disruptions as they already live pay check to pay check. Where we are (southwest Florida) we have seen the impact on the men and women and their families at Cost Guard Station Cortez. In view of the foregoing, our Club has put together a fund collecting Grocery and Gas Gift Cards and cash contributions for distribution to Cortez Station Coasties by the Station Chief PO to help tied the "troops" over. We have contributed and will continue to do so, weekly, until the matter is resolved permanently.

While there has been a 3 week cease fire in the Trump/Pelosi pissing match, the GSA has already announced that it may take that long, or longer, to get payment system's sorted out and back in operation so the hiatus may provide only limited relief for the "troops" which may not be forthcoming for up to several more weeks yet. Given the foregoing, we are not going to discontinue our contributions on account of this "Announcement". Moreover, I have doubts that anything material will be accomplished in three weeks. It takes Congress longer than that to schedule a meeting or hearing given their uncoordinated "vacation" schedules.

The fact of the matter is that measures need be taken with respect to the out-of-control nonsensical immigration situation at the southern borders but nothing has happened as too few in the US have been adversely impacted by the situation and politicians can exploit the situation to their own perceived advantage. A "Grand Bargain" was negotiated between the Parties during the Reagan Administration in 1986 but once signed and Reagan relented on his measures then, Nothing Happened to remedy the situation and hasn't in the intervening 33 years!

The foregoing not withstanding, our "Troops" should not be forced to endure the pain of a Pelosi/Trump Pissing Match and, considering our dependence and reliance upon the Coast Guard the least we can do is make a contribution in their support. The next time the Fhit hits the San while you're out on the water, Who Ya' Gonna Call?

Please seek out and contribute what you can, eh?

FWIW...

·
Old soul
4,553 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
...The foregoing not withstanding, our "Troops" should not be forced to endure the pain of a Pelosi/Trump Pissing Match ...
No matter where one stands on the apparent issue of your USA/Mexico border problems, it seems unfathamonably unfair to use government workers as pawns in this, as you say, “pissing match.”

Watching from a far, I’m also amazed that your government is allowed to force people to work without pay. How is this not simply illegal? If any other employer did this in the USA, surely it would be called slavery, and authorities would put a stop to it immediately (and those responsible would go to jail).

The republic form of government has many strengths, this whole debacle illustrates one weakness. This failure to fund the government could not happen in a parliamentary system. The same situation would lead to an immediate general election, with the government continuing to operate in the interim.

·
bell ringer
4,817 Posts
Maybe the boring Canadian Govt should do something exciting and newsworthy ;-)

In govt budgeting, there's always people being the "unfair" pawns. Except Congress of course because they get paid regardless.

·
Registered
3,479 Posts
Well, it's hardly "slavery." They're going to be paid, but their paychecks are going to be deferred. They're not being "forced" to work. Some are continuing to work out of a sense of duty and others are having a sick-out. Deferring their pay isn't right, but gridlock is built into our government with it's delicate balances between the executive, legislative and judicial branches.

Gridlock happens when neither party is willing to compromise enough to reach agreement. If you want to break up the gridlock, don't complain about the opposing party. They aren't paying any attention to you. Complain to your own party. When each party senses that they are losing the support of their own members, they'll move to a compromise.

·
Old as Dirt!
3,485 Posts

In govt budgeting, there's always people being the "unfair" pawns. Except Congress of course because they get paid regardless.
And this is part of the problem. In my view, no member of Congress--House or Senate--or their staffs should receive a dime of compensation, or expense reimbursements, at any time the operations of the government are not funded sufficiently to pay wages and reimbursements to employees, civilian or military. If these characters had to endure some of the discomforts, they'd be a lot more responsive to the needs of the Country. For some of the multi-million/billionaire class that enter politics for the entertainment value or whatever, such as Pelosi/Trump it might not matter (in fact Trump doesn't accept a salary now), but for the rank and file "legislators" and their minions, that is not the case and they should "share in the pain" IMHO, No?

In any case, please pitch in to help the Coasties lest you be forced to "share the pain" when you need them and there's no one there to respond, Eh?

FWIW...

·
Administrator
7,167 Posts
And this is part of the problem. In my view, no member of Congress--House or Senate--or their staffs should receive a dime of compensation, or expense reimbursements, at any time the operations of the government are not funded sufficiently to pay wages and reimbursements to employees, civilian or military. .
As you might know, Im not American.... its always amazed me that any of these government shutdowns do not affect the wages of the politicians themselves... or the Swamp Dwellers.
To choof off for a sunny vacation while others are not being paid is disgraceful!

·
Old soul
4,553 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
And this is part of the problem. In my view, no member of Congress--House or Senate--or their staffs should receive a dime of compensation, or expense reimbursements, at any time the operations of the government are not funded sufficiently to pay wages and reimbursements to employees, civilian or military. If these characters had to endure some of the discomforts, they'd be a lot more responsive to the needs of the Country. ...
Agreed. I bet if the political staff suffered the same as all the rest, the policians would suddenly find a way to do their jobs.

It’s a great thing your group is doing svHyLyte to support the USCG folks.

Well, it's hardly "slavery." They're going to be paid, but their paychecks are going to be deferred. They're not being "forced" to work. Some are continuing to work out of a sense of duty and others are having a sick-out. Deferring their pay isn't right, but gridlock is built into our government with it's delicate balances between the executive, legislative and judicial branches. ...
My understanding is that there were many people forced to work. From your TSA staff to air traffic controllers, to border folks and some USCG staff were ordered to report to work. The only option for these people, as I understand it, was to work without pay, or quit entirely.

Call it whatever you will, if any other private business demanded its workers work, with the promise of payment sometime in the future, they would quickly feel the weight of the law. It’s amazing what powers governments (all governments) grant themselves that are not open to private citizens or corporations.

·
██▓▓▒▒░&
13,645 Posts
I don't see what all the fuss is about.
1-President says the government is shut down
2-Congress says the government is shut down

OK, so our *second* national government (anyone remember this is the second one?) has abdicated or dissolved or whatever you prefer to call it.

That leaves us with full permission to hold a new Constitutional Convention and start all over again. The resignation of the folks in DC should simply be accepted (perhaps by the national association of state governors?) and we move on.

The only questions would be who gets custody of the insular possessions like Guam and PR, or are they now abandoned and free? And who gets to annex the District of Coumbia? Or do they become, you know, like the Duchy of Grand Fenwick?

And then of course, should the politicians be prosecuted for malfeasance, failure to perform their duty of RUNNING the former federal republic, which includes the legal responsibility to keep it funded and running, even as they may argue over who gets the bigger slices of pie.

I'm pretty much amazed that some of the grown-ups in Massachusetts, New Hampshire, Vermont (which started out by seceding from New York!) hadn't grabbed the opportunity to form a new Union.

Or perhaps, there would be conservatives arguing the miscreants could all be arrested, new elections held, and we'd be back in business in two weeks.

Either way...we've missed a marvelous opportunity here.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts