SailNet Community banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Owner, Green Bay Packers
10,317 Posts
Reaction score
Yeah, but I'll tell ya what though, there ain't nutt'n scarier tha a 900' full loaded tanker fish tailing at high speed, can't wait to see them doing donuts
Trouble is; when you've only got a foot or two under your keel to begin with, you don't do much wiggling about in the Strait of Malacca. (!)

· Owner, Green Bay Packers
10,317 Posts
Reaction score
Trust me, everyone will know about it! Seamen are notorious blabbermouths and the story will out on or about the second beer after hitting the next port.

billyruffin is entirely correct in his assessment of the efficacy of "pirate training" and recognizes the usual hornswoggle peddled by the government and the academies that no one in the real world believes. The original article cited is the type of pap that was served up to make us believe that we were all safe within the arms of our government when flying. I'd expect that 9/11 put paid to that nonsense.

One of these days, some wit is going to note that the US Navy was invented for dealing with pirates, specifically the Barbary pirates, and that after their acquiescence to that navy it was debated long and hard as to the need for it's continued existence. We might revisit that conversation if US flag interests are at risk. To the extent that the interests are not US flag in nature; let 'em get their own damn navy.

paulk is certainly correct in the likely result of arming every merchant ship at potential risk. While I'm not sure what would happen to the pirates, I'm pretty sure that various matters maritime between Greeks and Turks would become ballistic in nature and hardly be limited to those animosities and fears.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.