SailNet Community banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've just heard of one for sale through a friend who knows the owner. It hasn't been in the water in 6-7 years and clearly needs a bit of cleaning up.
My first concern it's that the owner at some point broke the rudder and "crafted" a replacement. At first glance, it appears to have been made from a piece of 2 X 12. It may not be quite that bad, but what are my chances of being able to find a replacement for this 30+ year-old part?
A quick look at craigslist shows a local Catalina 22 that's a couple of years newer at about the same asking price. Better choice? Certainly seems better-supported.

Thanks,
Dave

·
Old enough to know better
4,346 Posts
I would certainly look at the Catalina 22. I am not real familiar with US Yachts I believe this was created from the offshoot of the former sailboat division of Bayliner, correct? From my understanding the boats are generally simple sturdy little boats. This seems to be derived from the Ranger 22, and Gary Mull is a very respected designer. The Catalina is going to have current support from the manufacturer, and lots of third party companies. But other than a few things like the rudder most will be off the shelf stuff so it is really of somewhat limited usefulness. The winches and other hardware will be a standard brands with parts available. Some people like being able to get the exact part from the manufacturer, but others seem to be able to make due with what is available. You might want to check on what Catalina would charge for a rudder (for comparison) and you might better understand why one was makeshift fitted. It is a stern mounted rudder, so it is a pretty simple affair, and likely was wood originally.

So I would look at both and go with what looks to be in the best shape. If it has not been in the water for 6-7 years was it under cover? If it is moldy mess I would not touch it. Remember sails will cost about what the boat is worth, so they have to be good, same with the motor, and the rigging.

What are your goals with the boat? Looking for something to do in the driveway or out on the water? Big difference between the two. Some are serial restorers, that don't really sail much and just enjoy refurbishing boats. Nothing wrong at all with that, while others really want to be out on the water no matter how rough the boat looks. (guess it depends somewhat on how far you want to get away from the wife!) Generally a boat in that size range, most important is to find a boat in good shape. Unless there is a local one class you want to race in, the boat is really not important as long as it is in good shape. It will not take much in the way of "cleaning it up" to cost more than the value of the boat. If they are in rough condition they are often given way and the poor guy who takes on the project spends twice what it is worth, never finishes and then gives it to someone else.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the thoughtful reply, Paul. It was actually seeing the US22 that got me looking at alternatives. I'm going to look at the Catalina tomorrow. I'm expecting from the description of work recently done that it will be in better condition and closer to sailaway without a lot of effort.
I'm buying to sail, not to putter and refurbish, and certainly not to repair before I can sail.
We'll see how tomorrow goes.

·
Freedom isn't free
3,073 Posts
These are 2 very different boats. The US Yacht is a BIG 22.. the Catalina 22 is an average 22. The Catalina 22 is a VERY common boat, with parts readily available, and an active class association.

The US Yacht is a unique boat with decent lines, and design but certainly not "common" in any way. I personally like the lines of the US Yacht product lines (not the Bayliner or Buccaneer lines, as there were some overbuilding and underbuilding going on in some of them).

Not sure what the cost of a proper rudder would be, but I'd look for one to be built if you go with the US. I know pre-built ones run about $400 for the Capri 22 (so figure certainly MUCH more than that for a custom built one for the US 22).

I've sailed on the US 25, and US 27, both were heavy cruising class boats, big for their LOA. They sailed heavy and were well balanced, I can't imagine the 22 as being much different. Figure big for it's LOA, and very forgiving, and easy to sail.

I should mention like above, it depends on your usage as to what trailerable fits YOUR needs best (as really with any size boat). Like I'd not recommend either of these if you planned on day-sailing a lot. Get a 22 with a larger cockpit.

·
sunfish?junior?
749 Posts
My opinion is for the Catalina-22 but go figure I have one. Parts and a good class . You have a support network. Look how many folks have said something good about the C-22. No bad things said about the US-22 it is not well known.
All boats have their good and bad.
If you do look at this C-22 you may wish to hold off buying until you have done a little reading. By all means look read then look once more. Help yourself by looking at the Catalina -22 NSA. That's national sailing association. You will find that The C-22 has a few keel options and other options that make the boat options fit your needs. With so many Catalina-22s built and still building they can be found. A Catalina-22 will tend to have some price stability with cost related to the condition and location. You will figure this easy and then decide if you wish to by this certain C_22 because it options fit your intentions.
kind Regards, Lou
PS tell us what happens, and how it feels for you to get a C-22 :D

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'm very excited. Just put a deposit on the C-22. Can't wait for the bay to thaw!

·
19,488 Posts
I'm very excited. Just put a deposit on the C-22. Can't wait for the bay to thaw!
I think you made the right choice, esp in view of the rudder issue with the US22.

Congrats.. :)

·
sunfish?junior?
749 Posts
Good for you :) It was a joke when I said tell us how it feels but now it is not.
Well, I think you are making a good choice.
Tell us about it. Did you get a fixed keel, swing, wing,. What year is it. Some years a have little more cabin, Will it come with the trailer ?
The Catalina -22 NSA cost $25 to join. Lots of history and information, I am happy to find one more owner on sailnet. You will get help from any current or past owner with or without spending $25. Short of the sunfish I think they are the 2nd most popular boat in the world. This by itself makes a statement. I wish you the best ! Keep in touch.
kind Regards, Lou

·
Fortuitous
338 Posts
Good luck with the new boat. I don't know US Yachts, but I don't think you can go wrong with a C22 among boats in that size range and for that purpose. I certainly love mine.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
1984 swing keel, trailer, original main and jib, 2-year-old 120 jenny. Owner's replaced keel cable and added an electric panel and knot meter. 9.9 Evinrude.
He's gonna help me with rigging when the marina opens in a couple of months.
8 degrees outside and I can hardly wait for it to warm up. :)

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I have to add (now that I'm not thumbing my words on my phone) that I'm really pleased to be welcomed here. I appreciate the camaraderie and support that enthusiastic fellow-travelers share.
As time goes on and I get my boat and get to know her, I'm sure I'll be back for more of both.

Thanks,
Dave
Rochester, NY

Reactions: Lou452

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Had to change my sig line today. Went by to pay the PO and collect paperwork, sails, outboard, potty, etc. Turns out it's a '74, not an '84. He was confused.
I'm a little disappointed, but not a lot, not enough to undo the deal.
When I get a few more posts (and the snow melts a bit) I'll post some pictures and start asking for project advice.

·
Fortuitous
338 Posts
I think Chip Ford's [no relation] Chip Ahoy is a '74, and he's got probably the most detailed account of a C22 refit on the web: "Chip Ahoy" Homeport

At least the stuff in his pictures will match your stuff.

You can tell the age of a C22 by its hull (and sometimes sail) number. A '74 would probably be around 3,000-4,500. An '84 would be up around 12,000 or so.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Bicycled over yesterday to see my boat (still in the PO's yard). There's still a good bit of snow on the tarps and a plowed pile between her and the street that must be a cubic yard or two. Still, it was good to go by.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
From the boat, we rode over to the marina where she'll be slipped (Is that a word?) I was way excited to see that there's open water around the docks and an open channel to the lake. Wouldn't make it very far into the bay, though, and I'm not sure the open water was wide enough to make a u-turn to come back to the docks.
The marina is supposed to open in another 5 weeks. Hard to believe the ice will be gone by then.

·
Premium Member
270 Posts
Congratulations on your boat purchase! Enjoy both the sailing and the maintenance!

·
Captain Obvious
2,385 Posts
I have a 1974 Catalina 22 swing keel on the Hudson. Pop top too.

It will be a long hard 5-6 weeks, more so for you .

Best of luck with her!! There is lots to read about these boats on the internet to pass the time. Great boat that does it all. If you are lucky and sail fast, she will even sing a a song for you.

Reactions: Lou452
1 - 18 of 18 Posts