SailNet Community banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Used to have a 1980 US 29

It was bought new in Orillia Ontario, and sailed on Lake Superior and Georgian Bay by my family for many seasons.
We sold it in the early 90's when our family moved away from a major body of water.
The boat sailed terrifically, and was asthetically pleasing. There were some structural issues due to it's light construction however.

·
Freedom isn't free
3,137 Posts
Light construction? Really?
We had a 1981 US 27, and that beast was a pig in the water, tough as nails and heavy as all get out! it wasn't happy unless there were 30 knot winds or more!

To this day I prefer racer/cruisers because that boat was so slow in the water. Granted it had a 13hp Volvo diesel, wheel, and fixed prop (probably the slow portion of this equation)... but darn, last thing I'd call it was light.

·
Sailing the Salish Sea
48 Posts
A couple of videos featuring "Windlass", a US YACHT 27, under sail:

·
Registered
89 Posts
I can't speak for the Bayliner Buccaneer version from the same molds, but the US Yacht boats were laid up heavy.

Mine had no blisters at all after years with no bottom job.

Schnool is right, very heavy for their size.

·
19,485 Posts

·
Sailing the Salish Sea
48 Posts
I guess the links don't come out right if done on an Android tablet. Here you go....

·
Registered
44 Posts
I've got a 1981 US27 and I love the way it handles. We're refurbishing the interior, tidying up the teak, and generally bringing it back to it's glory. This one never had an inboard, outboard only. Considering the year that's probably a good thing. It's really easy and simple to just pop a new outboard on the back of her.

I agree, it seems to be a well-built solid boat that I've been really happy with. I can't speak for any of the other boats in the US line, but this one is ridiculously fun to sail. It's a good boat to set up for single-handing as well and tolerates high winds with surprising comfort.

·
Registered
661 Posts
I grabbed a US27 and will post a review of her performance as soon as I launch in the Spring. I will say that the PO reallys seems to have taken good care of the major parts of the boat.
It has the wheel option, 13hp diesel, and a roller furler so I was happy.

·
Registered
661 Posts
As promised here is my opinion:

Definitely not what I would consider fast but it is easy handle on all points of sail. She likes a beam reach best and 5-6 knot pace is doable.

I have only had real time on small boats as a child but I jumped on board after splash and single-handed her 4 hours to my mooring without incident. That is a testiment to how forgiving these models are....highly recommended:D

·
Registered
584 Posts
Just picked up a US 25 myself. Got a swingin deal, but it needs a fair amount of work, wires are hanging here and there, interior has been partially remodeled but needs finishing. Just what I wanted! now I can do it my way.

·
Freedom isn't free
3,137 Posts
If any of you wind up with "181" which I really think was the wrong hull number, but I'll ask anyway, if any of you comes across a US 27, wheel steering, inboard diesel with sails with 181 on them... please let me know. The boat had a 110 hank, and a 170 yellow and orange hank on genoa.

·
Registered
44 Posts
grnrngr:
I spent about 8 hours last weekend cleaning and doing some work on the US27... I have some plans to redo all the lighting with LED rope on a dimmer, etc. Have fun sprucing up the US25!

1 - 20 of 28 Posts