SailNet Community banner

21 - 40 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
I am a USCG Qualified Instructor and I teach the 100 Ton Masters class 3 times a year for a training company.
As you know there is a lot of paper work needed before you can submit your application to the USCG.
Because most normal people hate paperwork sometimes people put it off and never submit their applications to the USCG.

So what you did is not uncommon.

In our classes we are proactive and spend the first 3-4 hours reviewing all the steps and filling out the forms together.
The paperwork is not hard but it just takes time to do.

Unfortunately at this point you have to start all over.
Just because you passed a training class a few years ago means nothing to the USCG.
The USCG has their rules and you must follow them.

You have the following options

1. Self study and take the tests at the USCG training location nearest you.
If you want to try this route you have 3 chances to pass the required 5 tests.
If you fail any one of the 5 tests 3 times you have to wait years before you can try again.

2. Do the entire class again in person.
In the case of our company we would not charge you a 2nd time to take the class.
So check with the company you used and see if they will wave the fee.
Yes I know you said you do not have the time but this is one option.

3. Do a weekend class / after work class.
Some companies have weekend/ after work classes that take 3-5 weekends to complete.
This will cost you but it might fit your schedule.

4. Do an online class with an in person test day.
Hard to stay motivated.

FYI
The most common reasons for an application being rejected are
1. Assuming your doctor knows what type of Medical Exam the USCG needs and how to fill out the Medical Forms. DO NOT I REPEAT DO NOT use you own Doctor go to www.concentra.com and find a Doctor who knows what to do.

2. Assuming your First Aid training meets the USCG requirements.
I get this question from Police and Firemen all the time.
They think because they have first aid training the USCG will accept it.
Do not assume it ask the trainer if he and the class is USCG approved and have him prove it.
If he can not prove it then it is not USCG approved.
Go to www.profirstaid.com and ask which class you need to take.

For reference these are the requirements to get you USCG license.

1. USCG Exams (Approved Training Course Certificate)
x amount of time in class depending on the license you are getting.
passing all 5 USCG tests
Rules of the Road (must get 90% very hard)
Charting (ETA, Set and drift, Etc)
Deck General (ropes, knots, parts of a ship, etc)
Deck Safety (fire fighting, simple first aid, etc)
Navigation General (bouy systems, etc)
2. Sea Service (Boating Experience)
3. Supporting Documents
Two Valid IDs
Min Age – 18 for 6 pack, 19 for Masters
US Resident
Notarized Merchant Mariners Oath
Three Character References
4. Supporting Tests
USCG approved Medical Exam
(go to www.concentra.com and find a doctor who knows how to fill out the forms)
USCG approved Drug Test (same doctor as the Medical exam)
USCG approved First Aid Course
(go to www.profirstaid.com and ask which class you need to take)
TWIC Card (Homeland Security)
(go to www.universalenroll.dhs.gov and sign up for an appointment)
5. USCG Application
genglandoh, do you know if time spent on a Hobie Cat 16 will count for sailing days? Yes, they were at least 4 hours underway per day.

·
Registered
27 Posts
genglandoh, do you know if time spent on a Hobie Cat 16 will count for sailing days? Yes, they were at least 4 hours underway per day.
Yes it would count.
In order to prove sea service you need to have either the boats title number or the boats state registration number.
You only need the number so if you do not still have the boat look at old photos and you may get lucky and see the state registration number.

·
Master Mariner
9,007 Posts
If one could take the test online, ANYBODY could pass.
Oh, wait a minute. Everybody who takes a course can pass anyway, so what's the difference? It's all about the money, not the safety of the passengers under the care of a captain guarantied to pass the license exam.

·
Master Mariner
9,007 Posts
Yes it would count.
In order to prove sea service you need to have either the boats title number or the boats state registration number.
You only need the number so if you do not still have the boat look at old photos and you may get lucky and see the state registration number.
If you own the boat, you can sign your own sea time forms.

·
Registered
27 Posts
If you own the boat, you can sign your own sea time forms.
You are correct.
If you own your own boat you are both the operator and the owner.
On page 1 of the Sea Service form you put yourself down as the operator and you include the boats information.
Size and reference number. (Title # or state Registration #)
On page 2 the owner signs the form testifying the information is true.
If you are the owner, you can sign.
If someone else is the owner they have to sign.

The USCG checks the reference number and will decline the Sea Time if it does not check out.

·
Administrator
7,570 Posts
What is the definition used for days at sea?
Sorry if this sounds stupid... but if I do a 30 day non-stop passage offshore thats obviously 30 days. But if I do an 8 hour short passage is that still a day?
30 x 8 hour cruises = 30 days?

·
Registered
27 Posts
What is the definition used for days at sea?
Sorry if this sounds stupid... but if I do a 30 day non-stop passage offshore thats obviously 30 days. But if I do an 8 hour short passage is that still a day?
30 x 8 hour cruises = 30 days?
Not a stupid question.

The Min is 4 hours count as 1 day, but 24 hours still only counts as 1 day.
So if you go out in the morning for 4 hours on your boat it counts as 1 day.
But if on the same day you then got out on my boat in the afternoon for another 4 hours you can still only claim 1 day.

So a 30 day trip is 30 days of sea service and 30 days where you only go out for 4 hours each day is also 30 days of sea service.

·
Registered
3,327 Posts
If one could take the test online, ANYBODY could pass.
Oh, wait a minute. Everybody who takes a course can pass anyway, so what's the difference? It's all about the money, not the safety of the passengers under the care of a captain guarantied to pass the license exam.
It's like many licensed professions, there are good practitioners and bad. The bottom line is you don't work at all in the U.S. without a license. It's also incumbant on the employers to do their due diligence when hiring. ( background checks, references, drug testing etc. ) If one is self-employed and incompetent, or not they better have good professional liabilty insurance.

·
Administrator
7,570 Posts

·
Master Mariner
9,007 Posts
It's like many licensed professions, there are good practitioners and bad. The bottom line is you don't work at all in the U.S. without a license. It's also incumbant on the employers to do their due diligence when hiring. ( background checks, references, drug testing etc. ) If one is self-employed and incompetent, or not they better have good professional liabilty insurance.
I think it is more about those who can get the ticket, already have a boat, but no experience, and want to take out paying passengers. The present system does not insure that a person who expects to operate a vessel of 25 to 200 tons can actually operate a vessel at least that large. Nothing, nada, zilch.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I think it is more about those who can get the ticket, already have a boat, but no experience, and want to take out paying passengers. The present system does not insure that a person who expects to operate a vessel of 25 to 200 tons can actually operate a vessel at least that large. Nothing, nada, zilch.
The USCG Masters License is like getting a Collage degree and having some experience.
The students in my classes have a variety of boating experiences.
Some are very knowledgeable about power boats some on sailboats.
A few even have tow boat experience.

So when hiring a person for any job you have to look at both their book knowledge and their experience.
This is called a resume or CV in the marine world.
This is normal for any job including the marine industry.

Just because you have a Master License does not mean you have the experience for a specific marine job.
Employers know this and would not hire someone who does not have the work experience to do the job.

·
Registered
27 Posts
A local SeaTow operator told me that the Mariners Learning System is very good. Buy US Coast Guard Approved Boat Captain Courses
This is one option that works for some students.
Some things to consider
1. Are you good at self study?
2. If you take 4 weeks to finish a module will you remember the material from 4 weeks ago when you take the test?
3. How quickly do you want to get your license?
The fastest method is to take a 1 week in person class.
For the average person the slowest method is to do self study.

In my class I have gotten a few students who tried this method but never finished.
I am sure some people do this method and do finish it is just a matter of knowing yourself.

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
The USCG Masters License is like getting a Collage degree and having some experience.
The students in my classes have a variety of boating experiences.
Some are very knowledgeable about power boats some on sailboats.
A few even have tow boat experience.

So when hiring a person for any job you have to look at both their book knowledge and their experience.
This is normal for any job including the marine industry.

Just because you have a Master License does not mean you have the experience for a specific marine job.
Employers know this and would not hire someone who does not have the work experience to do the job.
It's the same with just about any licensed profession. I'm a lawyer; I graduated from a top ten law school, and passed the bar exam in three states. The day I was formally admitted to practice, I was legally allowed to represent someone charged with murder and facing the death penalty. Crazy, right? There is no way on this little green earth that should be the case. But it is. Caveat emptor.

The license is not supposed to guarantee anything other than an acknowledgement of the minimum educational credentials. Lawyers and captains (and doctors and accountants and financial advisors, and....) still need experience. And as minimal as the USCG license requirements are to some people, IMHO they are still more indicative of competence than a law license is; at least with the USCG license, you have to show that you have some experience in operating a vessel. Just passing the test (like we lawyers do) isn't enough.

·
Master Mariner
9,007 Posts
The license is not supposed to guarantee anything other than an acknowledgement of the minimum educational credentials.
Actually, most marine certificates are not about education, but are certificates of competency, unlike an educational degree.
How can any agency certify competency if the holder never has to do anything more than pass the test? You have a written test and a driving test to drive any vehicle, and you aren't getting a big rig license driving a sports car.

·
Master Mariner
9,007 Posts
[QUOTE="genglandoh, post: 2051706620, member: 173722"
This is called a resume or CV in the marine world.[/QUOTE]
Gee, thanks for that. I didn't know that...... lol

·
Registered
27 Posts
[QUOTE="genglandoh, post: 2051706620, member: 173722"
Gee, thanks for that. I didn't know that...... lol
[/QUOTE]

Sorry I hope you did not take my post as an insult.
When I answers questions or respond to posts I tend to over explain so the wider community will understand.
I guess it in the teacher in me.
Hope there is no hard feelings.

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
Also, I found an online course I can take that also has a test.
Lots of the online courses include PRACTICE tests. Not a bad way to practice, especially since the USCG publishes all of the questions that they use in the real tests. For the test that really counts, though, you cannot do that online.

21 - 40 of 48 Posts