SailNet Community banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Load Bearing Member
644 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just wrote the check for $84 to transfer the certificate over and then I see this:

Fees:
Apply for Exchange or Redoc $84
Approval of Exchange if mortgaged $24
Bill of Sale per page $8
Transfer on reverse of original CG-1270 $8

Mortgage (per page) $4

Here:
http://www.uscg.mil/nvdc/instr/inst%20exchange.pdf

I seems like Uncle Sam's boat crazy nephew wants 8 bucks just to look at the bill of sale and wants to hit me again to review the signatures on the back of the previous certificate. Leaving aside my feelings on the matter, am I correct?

I haven't sealed the envelope yet; seems like I should tear up the check and write another for an even $100.

Right?

Ken

<Watches the money flying away>

·
Registered
Corsair 24
4,594 Posts
when we renewed like 12 years ago it was one page, one price...

must have changed

can you call them?

·
Registered
Corsair 24
4,594 Posts
is this a first for the boat? Ive never done it a first time, just renewed once

good luck

·
Load Bearing Member
644 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Not the first, I am transferring over the existing certificate and changing the name and hailing port.

I could call them, but I figured someone here has been through this.

·
Registered
Corsair 24
4,594 Posts
yeah not worth it to risk it just call

I remeber it being very easy to do

when I did it I remember I also changed the name and hailing port...I just dont remember

I too had just bought a boat that was documented

cheers

·
Registered
393 Posts
I seems like Uncle Sam's boat crazy nephew wants 8 bucks just to look at the bill of sale and wants to hit me again to review the signatures on the back of the previous certificate. Leaving aside my feelings on the matter, am I correct?
<Watches the money flying away>
The transfer of ownership is established by either a bill of sale (CG-1340) OR by a release signature on the back side of the PO's COD (CG-1270). You do'nt need to do both, BUT the PO's sig must be notarized. So, the amount would be $90. This is by memory, but it's only been a couple of years since I did the exchange for my boat.

·
Registered
1,833 Posts
Call and ask. I did, as like you, I was confused on the pricing the first time I did it. They were very helpful.

Reactions: christian.hess

·
Registered
28 Posts
I just recently tansferred over the documentation and changed the name and hailing port on our boat, I believe it was only $84., I'm not at home so I can't check - sorry. The other fees are for page "official" copies of those documents. I have spoken to the folks at the NVDC a few times, they are very polite and helpful. One kick in the butt though - it takes over 4 months to get the documentation paperwork processed through them! I finally reached the point where I had to get the documents in hand due to an upcoming voyage so the person I spoke with at NVDC recommended I request priority handling. Check the website for the specific info needed for this request. I had the documents back in under two weeks. Good Luck

·
Registered
25,129 Posts
Interestingly, the annual renewal took about a week to receive my updated doc. Naturally, there is much less for them to do, especially since nothing changed.

·
Over Hill Sailing Club
3,688 Posts
+1 on calling them. I have called them a number of times and they are extremely helpful and efficient. It's hard to believe they're a government agency:)

·
Registered
127 Posts
It is amazing that when you call a real person answers on the 2nd or 3rd ring. BUT it can still take 3 months (or more) to get your papers back, and if you don't dot an I or cross a T, you will go back to the bottom of the pile for another 3 months. Don't ask me how I know, but it took me close to a year to finally get my boat doc transfered.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts