SailNet Community banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Jeffrey
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering anyone had experience with online USCG licensing programs. Their is an organization online called "Mariners School" which offers an on line program and test which they claim is accepted by all including the USCG as a 6 pack Captain's license.

While all is frozen it might be a good thing to do if it is valid. Thanks Jeff

·
Registered
286 Posts
My understanding is that you can do all your coursework online, but you must sit for the final exam. The exam can be administered by a USCG-licensed instructor, or you can attend a USCG administered exam at a time and location of their choosing.

·
Registered
3,070 Posts
Plus they will want your picture and finger prints. Passport size pics will do but you have to go to the USCG Exam Center for them to take your prints.

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
TWIC card ? I am not sure if I know what that is ?
It's an opportunity for the government to grab another $130 of your hard-earned dollars in an effort to make sure you're not affiliated with any terrorist organization attempting to bring WMD into the country.

Seriously, it stands for "Transport Workers Identification Card" and is now required of all USCG license holders and just about everybody else who enters ports and cargo transfer areas.

·
Catalina38driver
28 Posts
I recieved my USCG Captains license through the Mariners School two years ago. They run an excellent program and I would reccomend them. One of the sessions was run by the owner of the school and he told us then, that he was fianllizing the online version of the class. He was just waiting for final approval from the Coast Guard. While you can save money by doing it on line... If you can devote the time, I think that you get much more out of the class by going through the experience with a room full of other boaters. Some of the discussions were pretty interesting and humorous. I met some great people in my class and again I would highly reccomend them (Mariners School). Good luck.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts