SailNet Community banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Administrator
5,921 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
FYI:

Amendments to Inland Navigation Rules (33 CFR 83) became effective 1 August 2014 and a new Handbook of Navigation Rules (replacing the old Commandant Instruction 16672.2) is posted on the NAVCEN website (no government printed version is currently planned, but, USCG is working with commercial purveyors to produce one).

On-line version at the Nev Center web site:

Navigation Rules Online

PDF download:

http://www.navcen.uscg.gov/pdf/navRules/CG_NAV_RULES_20140818.pdf

·
Learning the HARD way...
7,407 Posts
While it is good to know that they have been updated, and thank you, Donna, for the pointer; what are the major changes?

·
██▓▓▒▒░&
13,645 Posts
Or, the Record of Changes page has been heavily redacted by DHS to ensure that enemy dhows sneaking up the Mississippi will get quickly caught?

·
Sailboat Reboot
652 Posts

·
██▓▓▒▒░&
13,645 Posts
Thank you zephyr!

What are you drinking, I'll buy this round.<G>

From a fast and non-critical reading, it looks like the only things that would affect most of us are:
1-Surface effect craft, which are now called WIGs, may have a new red light
2-Whistles and horns may have additional new sounds/frequencies?
3-Optional all-around white lights are being encouraged on small craft
4-And most useful of all, a 40-foot boat no longer needs to buy or use a bell.

I know that's not all quite right but my head is spinning from trying to read the Congressionalese. Obviously the USCG hasn't bought a single copy of PowerPoint, of learned what a bullet list is. Fortunately they rejected the proposals to add alternate flashing red and green lights or fast white strobes, since in that environment their dress whites might have been mistaken for disco garb.

·
Sailboat Reboot
652 Posts
It is interesting how this process is carried out. One of the goals is to normalize the International and the Inland Rules. But how do they pick other things?

Your comment about strobes in particular caught my attention. There is no provision for white strobe lights in the International Rules, the Inland Rules state that they are a distress symbol (note this, all you ICWers who run their strobes all night in an anchorage MAYDAY MAYDAY!)

One of my complaints about the rules is the anchor light rule. As anyone who has come into an anchorage at night with many bright lights on shore knows, picking out the sailboats from the stars and background lights can be very difficult. I would have liked to have seen something to make these boats more visible.

A second complaint is about the color blue. In the US in most jurisdictions blue lights are illegal for all but law enforcement. (Tell that to the thousands of boaters with blue accent lights on their boats.) Yet blue is the one major color that is unique. Red, Yellow and Green are prevalent on shore. I have navigated more than once to a red or green light that changed color since I mistook a shore based traffic light for a aid to navigation! I would love to see blue strobes at about eye level as the standard for anchor lights.

As a sailboat person the power required to run lights at night is always a concern. But with the advent of cheap LED lights it is now possible to light up more of our boats and become more visible using less power than one halogen anchor light used in the past.

A bit off topic I admit, but I was unwilling to read 200+ pages to figure out how the front end of the process works.

Fair wind and following seas :)

·
Registered
778 Posts
I'm fairly certain the requirement regarding the bell has been in effect for at least two years, because when I bought my boat (40') that was so

??

·
&#9608;&#9608;&#9619;&#9619;&#9618;&#9618;&#9617;&
13,645 Posts
The bell was required for the "over 12 meters" group, but if I read correctly, the +12 meter group (~39.5 feet) are no longer required to have it, although the next group up still do. It has been made optional for that one size group--that's the change. Previously, it was required, and mainly served just to clutter up the companionway.

·
Old enough to know better
4,345 Posts
Does anyone know if the PDF version on a tablet or even printed out PDF count as having the regulations on board for a boat required to have it? Or does it have to be an "official" printing?

By the way Rodger I would take up HelloSailor on the drink he does not offer often! :laugher:laugher

·
&#9608;&#9608;&#9619;&#9619;&#9618;&#9618;&#9617;&
13,645 Posts
Paul-
The regs just require "a copy" be kept on board, without specifying if that is a printed paper copy of an electronic copy. Ignoring common sense (which would say any copy will therefore do) the way the courts hold on statutes and regs is that they are interpreted strictly and held "against" whoever wrote them, in general. So if the regs say a "copy" and you have a "copy"...that's all they require. You can read it, you can refer to it, you can cite it by page and line? Sure sounds like a "copy" to me.
I'd hate to be the watercop who thought otherwise, standing in front of his CO and listening to why I had just run up a hundred grand in legal fees and highly embarrassing "Made us look like jackasses" court rulings.(G)

·
Administrator
5,921 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Does anyone know if the PDF version on a tablet or even printed out PDF count as having the regulations on board for a boat required to have it? Or does it have to be an "official" printing?...

4. Am I required to carry a copy of the Navigation Rules? Per 33 CFR 88.01(g), the operator of each self-propelled vessel 12 meters or more in length shall carry on board and maintain for ready reference a copy of the Inland Navigation Rules. Electronic copies of the Navigation Rules are acceptable, however, only if they are currently corrected to he latest Notice to Mariners and can be made available for ready reference. The unwritten rule of thumb: 'readily' means that you are able to avail yourself of a Rule(s) within 2 minutes of the need to do so.

I'm not required to carry it but I keep the PDF on my iPad.

·
Sailboat Reboot
652 Posts
4. Am I required to carry a copy of the Navigation Rules? Per 33 CFR 88.01(g), the operator of each self-propelled vessel 12 meters or more in length shall carry on board and maintain for ready reference a copy of the Inland Navigation Rules. Electronic copies of the Navigation Rules are acceptable, however, only if they are currently corrected to he latest Notice to Mariners and can be made available for ready reference. The unwritten rule of thumb: 'readily' means that you are able to avail yourself of a Rule(s) within 2 minutes of the need to do so.

I'm not required to carry it but I keep the PDF on my iPad.
Two questions:
1) Please check the CFR citation. I went to eCFR and got §88.01 Purpose and applicability.
This part applies to all vessels operating on United States inland waters and to United States vessels operating on the Canadian waters of the Great Lakes to the extent there is no conflict with Canadian law.

Also, I presume that the need to be updated to the latest NTM is not only for the electronic version but the paper version as well. Please clarify

Fair winds and following seas :)

·
Sailboat Reboot
652 Posts

·
Administrator
5,921 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Two questions:
1) Please check the CFR citation. I went to eCFR and got §88.01 Purpose and applicability.
This part applies to all vessels operating on United States inland waters and to United States vessels operating on the Canadian waters of the Great Lakes to the extent there is no conflict with Canadian law.
I'm not sure what you're asking here.

Also, I presume that the need to be updated to the latest NTM is not only for the electronic version but the paper version as well. Please clarify
I don't have a definitive answer to this. On my boat I would carry a copy of the NTM that impacts the Nav Rules.

·
Sailboat Reboot
652 Posts
zephyr, you mean, that wasn't you who came around the bar late last night and collected on the drink ?!
You definitly need to check ID. I bet there are now a couple of hundred svzephyrs looking for free drinks.

At the moment I am at Joint Expeditionary Base Little Creek Fort Story in Norfolk/Virginia Beach VA. It is the home of many east coast special operations types. Their joke: "Today in America there are 5,000 guys telling girls in bars that they are Seals. None of them actually are." We pretty much know who the Seals, Riverine Warfare, Explosive Ordinance Disposal, Navy Divers, etc. are. But if you go into a place like Chicks Oyster Bar 2143 Vista Circle Virginia Beach VA (757) 481-5757 you can be sure that the guys who claim are the guys who are lame. It doesn't hurt that my companion is a retired Marine Staff Sargent (Korea, Vietnam - Bronze Star for valor) and I am a retired Navy Captain. The NSO operators can spot us too!

Fair winds and following seas :)

1 - 20 of 21 Posts