USCG NVDC SERVICE
[email protected]

1/6/14 E-Mail and Attached Renewal Form sent
1/7/14 E-Mail acknowledging receipt of Renewal Form
1/8/14 USCG NVDC Certificate of Documentation Issued
1/9/14 USCG NVDC Certificate of Documentation postmarked
1/13/14 USCG NVDC Certificate of Documentation received

Ladies & Gentlemen,
This has been typical of the service that I have been receiving from this Federal office over the years. I have heard a number of stories bad-mouthing them. I just wanted to reveal the other side of the story, as Paul Harvey used to say!

·
Administrator
5,922 Posts
So, your complaint is that it took the USPS four days to deliver it to you?

:)

Kidding.

·
Old as Dirt!
3,489 Posts
Renewals have never been a problem. It is getting the initial documentation that most people tear their hair out about. A good documentation agent can make the process much easier/faster however.

FWIW...

·
Learning the HARD way...
7,541 Posts
get copies of everything that you submit to the NVDC, and you should be covered for the 4plus months that it will take to get the docs...

That said, if you ever call the NVDC, you will never deal with a more professional and pleasant group of govt. employees.

Sent from my VS930 4G using Forum Fiend v1.1.3.

·
Mermaid Hunter
5,689 Posts
Renewals have never been a problem. It is getting the initial documentation that most people tear their hair out about. A good documentation agent can make the process much easier/faster however.
I've never had an issue with documentation that ever made me want to use an agent. I have greatly benefited by having friends and family close enough to stop in Falling Waters WV (by appointment) to walk things through.

·
Registered
293 Posts
I've never had an issue with documentation that ever made me want to use an agent.
I agree! When I purchased my previous boat I used an agent to transfer the documentation. I did not know any better and that's what the seller (it was a private sale) advised as that is what he had done when he had purchased the boat.

WHAT A WASTE OF $$$! For my current boat, I did it myself. The USCG web site is very clear and easy to navigate. I did have to call with one question, but a real person answered the phone right away and was very pleasant and helpful. It was easy and I saved a few hundred dollars that an agent would have charged.

·
Registered
674 Posts
And RENEWAL is free. Although for the life of me I can't understand why they don't do two or three year renewals. Seems like it would cut down on the paperwork and gee, even SAVE THE GOV'T MONEY.

But then I'm sure they'd start charging a fee...:rolleyes:

·
Registered
3,855 Posts
Have to agree with other posters: USCG National Vessel Documentation Center was cordial, quick, and provided detailed information as needed. We had complicated situations with our initial purchase of a used boat whose documentation had lapsed, and then later we bought out one of our partners. Finding out what papers were required was easy. Processing took time, but you are covered by holding on to copies of whatever is pending, so there's no issue with any authorities in the meantime. Quite simple and actually straightforward. Renewals even more so, as noted already. **** (four stars) for USCG NVDC !!!!

·
Registered
293 Posts
Processing took time, but you are covered by holding on to copies of whatever is pending, so there's no issue with any authorities in the meantime.
People's Republic of Maryland made me register the boat in MD while I waited the 3 months or so for the USCG to process the documentation. Had to pay $24 and get MD state numbers for the boat. I was allowed to file for a 50% refund of the registration fee when I received the final USCG documentation. Showing the application etc. was not sufficient.

I'm not sure whether that is really Maryland state policy or the particular MD DNR office I was dealing with.

·
Registered
2,464 Posts
Hey,

I sent my CG-1258 (Application for initial , exchange, or replacement of certificate of documentation) form in to the CG Via email on Dec 2.

I checked the NVDC today and here is the info on their web site:

National Vessel Documentation Center
Case Processing Dates as of 01/10/14

Fish Initial: 01/02/14
Fish Reissue: 01/02/14
Commercial Initial: 01/02/14
Commercial Reissue: 12/31/13
Recreational Initial: 09/06/13
Recreational Reissue: 08/27/13
Mortgage: 01/08/13
Notices of Claim of Lien: 04/20/12
Satisfactions: 07/11/12
Deletion with fees: 01/09/14
Certificates of Ownership: 01/10/14
Research (Including Complex): 01/09/14
Abstract Processing (Including Abstract Pending Review): 01/09/14

So for my form, recreational reissue, they are still at the end of Aug. So I guess I have AT LEAST 3 more months to wait.

That doesn't seem very quick to me.

Barry

·
Master Mariner
9,114 Posts
The NVDC renewal process is NOT the problem. It is the annual renewal that makes absolutely no sense at all. It is a major pain if you are out cruising. My daughter takes care of the renewal, but then she can't send the original by mail, because I'm not anywhere long enough to receive it. When she copies and emails it, the security stuff pops out denoting it is a copy (even the number on the bottom comes out reversed) and the officials expect the original (copies are not legal). To be fair, no official has said anything, if he even noticed, but could be a major problem, should some official choose to make it so.
I, for one, would rather pay a reasonable fee for a 5 year document than sail around on with illegal copy.

Reactions: Rhapsody-NS27
1 - 13 of 13 Posts