SailNet Community banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Three guys bought a boat for $1000, took the boat out the North Edisto inlet on a small craft warning day. Somehow got out of the channel and into shallow water where they bounced off bottom repeatedly.

·
Registered
2,953 Posts
Wow, I just pulled up the charts for that area. Once you're out of that channel it is *shallow*. Like, get out of the boat and walk shallow.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Sorry, I’m not certain on the type of vessel. They were staying in my marina for a few weeks and I saw the back of the boat from a distance. Might have been a Pearson 36. Looking at the uscg pictures it does appear to have been an encapsulated keel with a skeg hung rudder, consistant with the Pearson.
Really though I gotta think any boat that took a pounding on the bottom like that one did would have lost the keel. From what I was told, second hand, they hit bottom in the trough of every wave.
With the wind and projected currents that day there was a small craft warning in Charleston harbor so I’m sure they got pounded hard.
They should never have been out there. Apparently they may have been headed to the Bahamas.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts