SailNet Community banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have come in to possession of four 12 Volt 7 Amp rechargeable batteries and need some ideas on how, or what, to use them for on my boat. They came out of some medical equipment that I work with. They are fully charged as is, and I thought I could use them to power a motorized telescope, but the amperage is too low. I hate to not use them for something, so, any ideas?

Attachments

·
Learning the HARD way...
7,666 Posts
They could be used to power your 12VDC burglar alarm system, or as a BBU for your FIOS connection...

You've got 28 amp hours worth of sealed lead acid batteries... not a lot on a boat that could use this - at least that I can think of.

·
Administrator
8,329 Posts
Theres lots of low amp draw recharging to be done... A bedside laptop or tablet, the handheld VHF, phones etc. a handheld GPS with your anchor alarm...
Charge it up during the day when your big battery bank is full and your solar panles are idle.

:)

·
Registered
160 Posts
7amp.h is the capacity not the maximum current it can supply. And you can always parallel them to get more juice. I thought telescopes were usually balanced and so didn't require too much power to move.

·
69' Coronado 25
323 Posts
You could use them to power LED lights or anything with a low amp draw

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
I also have a lot of these batteries and as many say low amp draw devices... but as you mentioned you can parallel them to boost the amp/hours and charge them up with solar panels... the alarm idea is good as you can create the entire system independent of the main house system, also a backup supply for the instruments if not for a short period for emergencies.

·
Glad I found Sailnet
3,841 Posts
Sell them on eBay and put the money toward something else, like a carbon monoxide detector.

Or run a webcam off them.

Or wire them into your house bank in parallel.

Regards,
Brad

·
██▓▓▒▒░&
13,641 Posts
What's the date code on the batteries?

They may show full voltage, but typically they lose 25% capacity every year, so after four years they are paperweights. That's why they are often replaced every second year in backup power supplies and portable applications.

Great for a combination solar powered nightlight and paperweight, not so great for other purposes. You'd have to do some load testing to see if they're worth messing with.

·
Registered
2,432 Posts
I have come in to possession of four 12 Volt 7 Amp rechargeable batteries and need some ideas on how, or what, to use them for on my boat. They came out of some medical equipment that I work with. They are fully charged as is, and I thought I could use them to power a motorized telescope, but the amperage is too low. I hate to not use them for something, so, any ideas?
Curious..what piece of medical equipment did this come out of..?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.