SailNet Community banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am considering sealing the joint where my boat''s teak toerail meets the deck with approximately a quarter inch radius fillet of white Marine-Tex. Does anyone have any experience with how well this epoxy will stand up to the ravages of direct Florida sun? I do know that products such as West epoxy do not tolerate direct sun unless protected with a coating containing a UV shield or painted. The boat is 29 years old and the bottom of the toerail is showing signs of too many years of over zealous varnish removal (along with a little teak) and I am hoping the white Marine-Tex will not only seal it but will offer a nice straight line about 3/16 inch or so above the deck to which I can tape off and varnish slightly below as well as fair the bottom of the toerail. Then I should be able to paint the fillet with a brushable polyurethane overlapping the varnish which should seal the bottom of the varnish and result in a sharp line between the painted deck and varnished toerail. Thanks for your inputs.

·
Administrator
9,188 Posts
This is not a good idea. Even varnished wood rails swell and contract and will quickly create a hairline crack where the epoxy meets the rail. That kind of hairline crack can rot out even rot resistant woods like Teak. MarineTex is particularly poorly suited for this application. I would suggest that you stick with a high quality flexible caulk. Some are paintable and will result in the same look.
Jeff

1 - 2 of 2 Posts