SailNet Community banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Simple Practical Ideas Online -

CRUISING HELMSMAN are publishing online the best ideas from Jude's Practical Boat Bits and Tips

Jude Binder has more than forty years experience finishing and maintaining vessels and fine timber furniture. She is also an accomplished sailor with 150,000 miles under sail, so she knows what stands the test of time. She learnt how to organize, victual, and manage a ship by living continuously afloat for sixteen years educating her two sons while sailing to over eighty countries.

Each week a new idea will be presented -

My Sailing: Practical boat tips: Use old socks to protect on-board items

·
Registered
557 Posts
Aboard Guenevere we use tube sock to protect many items. :)

Some years back, I dyed a few red. Now, when I look into our wine locker I can select a red, or white wine without pulling down the socks. :D

Greg

·
Administrator
7,584 Posts
I just tried your idea and put some French cheese in my old socks.

Its only half an hour and 4 boats in the anchorage have been on the VHF to complain. :(

·
3,506 Posts
Wool socks will keep that cheese warm when they are wet.

Reactions: MarkofSeaLife

·
Registered
584 Posts
I just tried your idea and put some French cheese in my old socks.
:(
That's the method I use when I only have cream cheese and I need limburger... takes about 15 minutes...plus, once you've scraped out all the cheese you need, leave the remaining coating in your socks. Soothes blisters and keeps your feet nice'n'soft...

Bb

Reactions: MarkofSeaLife

·
██▓▓▒▒░&
13,645 Posts
I think using socks around bottles was mentioned in Don Street's Offshore Sailing Yacht, must be 35? 40? years ago. I like a double-walled stainless coffee cup. Keeps the coffee hot, can't shatter, but a bit of a danger if you drop it on bare toes.(G)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts