SailNet Community banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
S/V Sabbatical
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am in the New York City area and I am trying to find a place to buy used gear. Right now I am looking for a propane stove, but I will have more needs in the future.

What is the best way to find used gear?

What happens to all the boats totaled by insurance companies or abandoned at yards?

Are their sailboat junkyards?

·
Registered
725 Posts
alot of stuff ends up on ebay

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
try pacific marine exchange in bellingham/beware of diesel used stoves, pots could be totaled...lots of propane about but they tend to blow up eventually.
depends on just what u want...I've just installed a dickenson bristol diesel and a kerosene sea cook or sea mate (single burner gimbled)

·
Telstar 28
1,000 Posts
Did you even read the OP??? He's in NEW YORK, and BELLINGHAM, WA is a bit far to go... :rolleyes:

try pacific marine exchange in bellingham/beware of diesel used stoves, pots could be totaled...lots of propane about but they tend to blow up eventually.
depends on just what u want...I've just installed a dickenson bristol diesel and a kerosene sea cook or sea mate (single burner gimbled)

·
Telstar 28
1,000 Posts
Craigslist is a good source, as are the consignments shops list found on the Good Old Boat website. Several are in Rhode Island and Connecticut and reasonably close to NYC.

I am in the New York City area and I am trying to find a place to buy used gear. Right now I am looking for a propane stove, but I will have more needs in the future.

What is the best way to find used gear?

What happens to all the boats totaled by insurance companies or abandoned at yards?

Are their sailboat junkyards?

·
Registered
5,607 Posts
or search this very site for the extensive list I posted this year

look for 'used parts'

the list has about 20 used shops including several in the NE.

post the link here when you find it for others to see

·
Registered
168 Posts
I just posted a two burner stove/oven, aluminum tank, storage locker, regulator I pulled from my C&C 34 on Sailnet and Craigslist.

I've bought several things off Craigslist. The Trailor Sailor classifieds are also very good.

Good luck.

SKywalker

1 - 9 of 9 Posts