SailNet Community banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok i was thinking about looking into some new sails for my boat. Is there a place that exists that sells used sails? would it be much cheaper to get used sails then get them modified to if your own boat. Or if i am gonna get new sails is it just the best to shell out the money and get new ones? thanks

·
Administrator
Farr 11.6 (Farr 38)
9,359 Posts
Yes there are places that specialize in selling used sails but it really depends on the type of boat that you own whether buying a used sail makes sense. In my mind it makes absolutely no sense to buy a partally worn out mainsail or genoa and getting them recut. By the time you do that, you are typically so close to the price of a new sail bought ''right'' (boat show pricing and paid in full upfront) that you are better buying a new sail. That said, in some classes, like J-24''s or J-22''s at the top levels, boats buy new sails for major ragattas and sell off their almost new sails. If you race or daysail in a class like that these used sail are fine.

My favorite source for buying or selling used sails is Bacon''s in Annapolis, Maryland.

Jeff

·
Registered
18 Posts
http://www.baconsails.com/Bacon & Associates, Inc.
116 Legion Ave.
Annapolis, MD 21401

410-263-4880

shop hours:
mon-fri 10am-5:30pm EST

BallastBoy
Edgemere, MD.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts