SailNet Community banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
654 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone had any experience buying and using a used spinnaker? I am considering several used asyms and am looking for some feedback. Do they get "blown out" like used mains and jibs?

HAM

·
Administrator
Farr 11.6 (Farr 38)
9,470 Posts
No, they get blown out faster than Mains or jibs. If you are buying a used chute you need to find out why they are being sold. Racing chutes have a short lifespan. That said the top sailors will often trade them in while they have some life in them. You sometimes see used cruising chutes for sail that have had little use and the owners did not want them taking up space any longer.

Jeff

·
Registered
994 Posts
I am buying a used boat and it came with an almost new asymetrical. (42''hunter) I might be interested in selling I know it is in good shape

·
Registered
994 Posts
I have a tall rigged C&C 40. I believe our sail plans are simular and would be interested. What are you asking for it?

Tom Olson

·
Registered
994 Posts
It would appear as though $2500 would be reasonable. The previous owner said he used it once and felt it was too much effort. I looked at it and it does look brand new. it has small block and tackle set with it

·
Registered
994 Posts
hamiam-- I just looked on this message board today I will get sail dimensions this weekend and let you know. it is for a hunter passage 42 1992

·
Registered
1 Posts
Used Asymmetric

Hi Guys I am looking for a used Asymmetric spinnaker, with a luff or around 20m (66') and a foot of 12m (40'). Weight 1.5oz or 2.2 oz. I have been looking for a while and just missed one - It does need to be in good order

Cheers John

·
Registered
4,304 Posts
We use spinnakers between 0 and 25 years old and while the fabric is weaker on the 25 year old practice spinnakers IF there well cared for they hold shape BUT have a limited wind range compared to the new ones

·
Registered
672 Posts
Getting a used spinnaker depends on a lot. I've been looking for an asymetrical. What I've fround is that in some classes such as the Megles racers ditch thier spinnakers after a few years and that's a cheap source if they match your dimmensions. Though not great for racing they're OK for cruising. Perodically go thru the websites of used sails borkers. I've found this is a good time of the year. Typically there will be one or two good deals there for assymetricals but they don't last long and get snapped up. For straight spinnakers there are usually good deals on reliable chutes all year long.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts