SailNet Community banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5,214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I going through a book about sea survival.

One very interesting survival problem and trick solution was mentioned.

The survivors were all in gumby suits. When they got to a life raft they were unable to grasp the hand ropes on the side of the raft with their suit gloves. Several people tried for a frustrating long time and failed. The problem was that the rope hand holds were tight enough to the raft body that the thick gloves could not get behind them.

The only trick that they were able to do that worked was to bite the line with their teeth and put it away enough to get their gloved hand around it.

Good to know to not waste energy trying it a way that would not work.

·
Registered
2,263 Posts
I'm thinking small-boat sailors might have resorted to teeth earlier than other mariners--we're more used to using teeth as a third hand or extra clear, as needed.

Please don't tell our dentists...

·
Registered
1,456 Posts
I'm glad they figured out a way to get on the life raft, but I have to say that it sounds like extraordinarily poor design to have the ropes that tight.

·
Registered
5,214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Reactions: Slayer

·
Administrator
7,944 Posts
Those gumby suits are a very two edged object. They keep you warm... But you die from not being able to swim, dive under waves, get into liferafts etc.

I havent used one, thankfully, and have no desire to either.

That was the Bounty book, but what about those guys on the Cheeki Refeeki who, we think, couldnt dove down to the upturned cockpit to release the life raft. Horrible stuff.

Mark

Reactions: mbianka

·
Registered
401 Posts
Your riight Mark,

Ive had to wear one for a Merchant Mariner Certificate and then at a time before working on a fishing boat. Ill tell ya, they aint the easiest prom dress to wear and a highly recommended experience for anyone to try if you ever get the chance. It will show you how uncomfortable they are and how useless you can feel in them. If you got to use your teeth, so be it, but if having to resort to using your teeth then good luck to not get your nose smashed in at the same time.

..and agree with denver, they should be looked at to improve manuverability and usefulness.

A 7mm diving wetsuit are not as bad to get around in compared to those Gumby suits.

Andrew

·
Registered
2,709 Posts
I did a sea-survival course and brought along a suit that I'd gotten (off eBay) and wore it for some of the training exercises. It was tough getting into a liferaft with that thing on - and since it is designed for cold water survival I almost died of heatstroke in the course's heated swimming pool :)

·
Registered
1,836 Posts
I did a sea-survival course and brought along a suit that I'd gotten (off eBay) and wore it for some of the training exercises. It was tough getting into a liferaft with that thing on - and since it is designed for cold water survival I almost died of heatstroke in the course's heated swimming pool :)
I had the same experience in a heated pool training session. I can only say if you buy this gear, you've got to try it before you need it. Flipping overturned life rafts and donning survival suits was a workout in a heated indoor pool, I cannot imagine doing it in real storm conditions. None of this stuff works the way I imagined.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts