SailNet Community banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Once known as Hartley18
5,179 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As a result of various upgrades and modifications I seem to have collected far more odds and ends of various sizes and lengths of double-braid both new and old that I can find a use for on the boat (the last thing I need is yet another spare dock-line! :rolleyes: ).

In the past, old 3-strand could be "re-purposed" into all kinds from baggywrinkle to shoes... but this modern stuff doesn't seem to have the same flexibility.

What do people do with odd lengths of double-braid? Any great ideas??

·
Registered
Corsair 24
4,594 Posts
lifeline netting if small diameter?

·
19,488 Posts
Unfortunately most seem to turn them into docklines - with their relatively low stretch it's not a good setup - and any 'gronks' from running over chocks and cleats seem exaggerated, to say nothing of the abrupt 'fetch up' when they pull taut.

One thing you can try, though.. put them in a pillow case and wash them - they may not be 'done' afterall....

·
Administrator
7,568 Posts
Give them to me.

:)

Reactions: fryewe

·
Once known as Hartley18
5,179 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Weave 'em into mats for on the boat, dock, etc. That's what my son does with old climbing ropes.
That's about all I could think of, myself... however old climbing ropes tend to be rather long which is what you need for mat-making.

Give them to me.

:)
Happy to.. If you come pick them up :)

·
Once known as Hartley18
5,179 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Unfortunately most seem to turn them into docklines - with their relatively low stretch it's not a good setup - and any 'gronks' from running over chocks and cleats seem exaggerated, to say nothing of the abrupt 'fetch up' when they pull taut.

One thing you can try, though.. put them in a pillow case and wash them - they may not be 'done' afterall....
Nope.. these are (mostly) done all right. :)

I probably should have mentioned that the lines in question are the 'frustrating' ones, either the right length and wrong size or vice versa, and sometimes reminders of the time I simply bought the wrong thing. Some examples from my "collection" :

- 2 x 25' lengths of 10mm with thimbles spliced in one end (the biggest my boat needs for anything is 8mm)
- 1 x 30' length of 12mm (came, in a bag, with the boat!)
- 2 x old jib sheets (the right size and length, but frayed to buggery)
- 1 x old mainsheet (see above)
- 1 x 10' length of 8mm (new, right size, but too short for anything useful? Maybe I'll keep it just in case.. :confused: as a matter of fact, I'm currently keeping them ALL.. just in case. :()

Perhaps the best option is to just leave them lying around the Club one day: Someone is bound to come along thinking "I can use that!!" and, after a year or three of them lying around in the bowels of the boat, find themselves asking the same question as I did in the title of this thread.. :cool:

·
no longer reading SailNet
2,309 Posts
Frayed -- toss.

10' of 8mm -- keep handy. Short pieces of line end up with lots of uses, like tying dock a cockpit tarp, tying down objects to the deck, making a tether to hold the anchor in place. It doesn't take much space and will get used.

What size is your boat? 25' x 10mm (why are you mixing units?) might be useful as storm-weather jib sheets. They'll slip less than 8mm jib sheets on your winches. The eye splices (are they big thimbles or little?) will allow you to attach them to the sail with a soft shackle, which won't catch on standing rigging like a splice.

The 12mm line you could give to someone else on your dock if you don't have an immediate use for it.

Is it possible that the 10mm and 12mm lines are double braid dock line?

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
Prepare a rats nest to stop Japan's whale boats! Makes good trailer tie down rope, Build the kids a rope swing..........Dale

·
Once known as Hartley18
5,179 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Frayed -- toss.

10' of 8mm -- keep handy. Short pieces of line end up with lots of uses, like tying dock a cockpit tarp, tying down objects to the deck, making a tether to hold the anchor in place. It doesn't take much space and will get used.
Good points.. except I'm not sure about the "will get used" bit. :)

What size is your boat? 25' x 10mm (why are you mixing units?) might be useful as storm-weather jib sheets. They'll slip less than 8mm jib sheets on your winches. The eye splices (are they big thimbles or little?) will allow you to attach them to the sail with a soft shackle, which won't catch on standing rigging like a splice.
Boat is 30'. I'm mixing units 'cause youse guys wouldn't understand meters and I can't be bothered converting metric line sizes to whatever it is y'all use over there. :eek:

Hmm.. hadn't thought about using them for storm-sheets. Good idea! :)

The 12mm line you could give to someone else on your dock if you don't have an immediate use for it.

Is it possible that the 10mm and 12mm lines are double braid dock line?
Don't think so.. One has been fitted with a 'red' taper on one end and the other 'green' so they must have come off a larger boat and the PO might have thought they'd come in useful one day.

..and I'd use them for dock lines if I didn't mind looking like a noob. ;)

·
no longer reading SailNet
2,309 Posts
10mm isn't oversized for jib sheets on a 9+ meter boat. I use them (even though 8mm is more than enough) because they work better with my self tailing winches than 8mm sheets do.

Hopefully the thimbles aren't metal. I don't like having more metal than necessary flying out at the end of the jib.

I always seem to find use for random short pieces of 8mm line. Keep the 3m, you'll find something for it. Fender lines, tie down lines for my dinghy and/or mast (to the deck of my big boat), or tie down for the spinnaker pole are all common uses for me.

Inches and feet suck, I'm for one happy if you speak in metric :).

·
Master Mariner
9,004 Posts
Often we pull out the core and use both parts for "small stuff". Tying the dink down on the foredeck, securing the fish box on the aft deck, keeping halyards from slapping at anchor; there are lots of ways we use "small stuff" on the boat.
Never for dock lines, however. Dacron does not make good dock lines.

·
Once known as Hartley18
5,179 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
10mm isn't oversized for jib sheets on a 9+ meter boat. I use them (even though 8mm is more than enough) because they work better with my self tailing winches than 8mm sheets do.

Hopefully the thimbles aren't metal. I don't like having more metal than necessary flying out at the end of the jib.
Unfortunately, they are metal. I could cut them off I guess... Or use them on the swing. :)

·
Registered
5,979 Posts
Use them to practice tying knots and making splices, make a hammock/sling seat (try a seat under the boom and swing it over the side), fender ties, multicolor mat - or best yet - give them to a fellow sailor in need.

·
Registered
4,677 Posts
If you don't have enough old braided rope you could tap into my favourite source. The local life raft inspection shop dumps scads of new to you nylon single braid line. Also a source of contact cement in tubes and flash lite batteries. Always good to have on hand for ?? Think about it when you need some and didn't.

·
Registered
830 Posts
I've been pulling the cores and using spare time to fashion "monkey loops"....those not-quite 'gorilla loops' for securing items 'round the boat and the odd bit of line to tie off/down some temporary gear.. *IF* for some unknown reason, these bits need to be cut free, I have no qualms about it. Best use as such so far is loops to tie off rather large line used on the huge fenders needed at my dock that won't fit thru the toe rail and placemment is between stanchions..not that *that* is a good solution! ;)

·
Once known as Hartley18
5,179 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I've been pulling the cores and using spare time to fashion "monkey loops"....those not-quite 'gorilla loops' for securing items 'round the boat and the odd bit of line to tie off/down some temporary gear.. *IF* for some unknown reason, these bits need to be cut free, I have no qualms about it. Best use as such so far is loops to tie off rather large line used on the huge fenders needed at my dock that won't fit thru the toe rail and placemment is between stanchions..not that *that* is a good solution! ;)
Sounds like a great idea... but I have no idea what you're talking about.

Got any pictures of these "monkey loops" you could post??

·
Registered
830 Posts
C30;
Gorilla loops are also called soft-shackles. Usually of Dyneema. Loop a length of 12 (?) strand, then free end pulled from center thru the entire length of core and knotted. Pass the loop end thru a block/shackle/cringle and pop the knot thu theloop; then skin the coverback til itt closes the loop and seizes the knot.
Monkeys aren't as big or strong as gorillas...so a lesser line fashioned so would make a monkey loop :D

·
Once known as Hartley18
5,179 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
C30;
Gorilla loops are also called soft-shackles. Usually of Dyneema. Eye-spliced and free end pulled thru the entire length of core and knotted. Pass the loop end thru a block/shackle/cringle and pop the knot thu theloop; then skin the coverback til itt closes the loop and seizes the knot.
Monkeys aren't as big or strong as gorillas...so a lesser lione n fashioned so would make a monkey loop :D
Riight.. Got that. Thanks.

I'm guessing +20ft of heavy double-braid would make a couple of boat-loads of soft shackles. :D

1 - 20 of 21 Posts