SailNet Community banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Trying to transport a daysailer on a trailer.

How anyone used UShip.com to find a hauler to transport a boat?

If so, good or not so good results?

Thanks

·
Registered
1,543 Posts
epic fail

especially expensive when they are no shows, and you paid for help and prep and your team is standing there, waiting, waiting, waiting, settlement, not your house any more, waiting, waiting turns in to no show. No response, no nothing.

Experience is expensive.

you get what you pay for.... so find a reputable firm and one with insurance and reliable gear, and experience, and permits, even talk to local boat dealers for who they use, sometimes they can take you one way to do their stuff...

·
Asleep at the wheel
3,017 Posts
I used someone in NJ who is great, but they are probably farther than you want to go/pay for. If it's on a trailer, why not contact a tow truck (the kind that pulls cars) and see if they'll tow it for you?

·
Registered
11 Posts
used them to ship my harley 2500 miles, did a wonderful job very reasonable, if you post your phone number with the posting discription the shipper will contact you right away, can save some money.

·
Registered
3,264 Posts
I have used a number of shippers but can't really say I have a guy. The two times I used Uship it worked out fine, but it wasn't substantially cheaper than what I got from calling companies direct.

·
islander bahama 24
1,842 Posts
I used to haul freight loads from uship hence my handle just make sure the companies are ligit check their numbers and Insurance with the FM CSA its free to check them out

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks newhaul,

As a newbie to hiring haulers, I found the uShip site and process intimidating. I was able to find some content on the site to guide my decision making by mistake. I've suggested they build a section "How to hire a hauler for dummies" to make it easier to locate suggestions to make it less of a scary experience.

The guidelines I'd use next time I try it would include the following (let me know if you agree or have others to add):

- Should have DOT and MC numbers (although some say it's not needed)
- Must have user ratings now lower than 4.8 and at least 10 reviews of carriers hauling cargo similar to yours (in my case sailboat on a trailer and not horses, dogs, household stuff, etc.)
- I would prefer they have the Safer Designation
- Be certain they will send their insurance certificate so you or your agent can verify their coverage and that it applies to your cargo.

Other suggestions welcomed. I think uShip can work, but it'd be nice if the site bundled this type of advice to make it an easier and safer process.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
One last note,

I found uship's commission structure by mistake, it averages about 15% from what I could tell. While I understand uShip is in the biz of making $'s, they should make their costs more transparent while users are in the bidding process.

·
islander bahama 24
1,842 Posts
You as the customer don't pay that fee the shipper pays it and you would also look at flatbed shippers that way your trailer is on mine no road wear and some protection from road debris. If they don't provide a copy of the insurance binder from his underwriter dont use them

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks again newhaul,

That actually underscore's my point for Uship to be more transparent and to make their policies prominent and easy to understand who is being charged what.

my insurance agent said the same thing you did, if they don't provide their certificate move on to another transporter.

Appreciate your insights, uship has terrible reviews online (including SailNet), that makes a less than easy process even more intimidating.

With a little effort uship could make it an easier and more satisfying experience by providing more guidance/advice at a high level (without getting into the weeds and risk their becoming part of the process).

I've mentioned this to Uship on their site, don't think anyone is listening.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts