SailNet Community banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings, all.

The Admiral made me a present of a lovely hand-held VHF - Uniden MHS135, with all the bells and whistles. Sadly, I've hit a snag: When I try to access the menu, the very first item is a call for an MMSI number, and I don't have one, nor can I really get one - I sail on rented boats only. (Working on it, but - money...)

Is there a "dummy" MMSI number - one that simply translates to "unconfigured"? - or does anyone know how to bypass that first menu so that I can get into the GPS etc. setup?

I really only planned to use DSC for the emergency beacon button, anyways...

Any help would be highly appreciated.

·
Registered
5,554 Posts
I was told that it is illegal to use marine VHF on land. So unless your home is on a pier, you need a different radio.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Canada (at least) issues MMSI numbers for radios not associated with a specific vessel, beginning with "8". E.g. 831612345 (316 being Canada's country code, a.k.a. MID).

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Learning the HARD way...
7,666 Posts

·
Registered
684 Posts
Check the manual carefully. I just bought a Standard Horizon Eclipse with DSC capability. With that radio, until one enters the MMSI, the radio beeps to let one know that the MMSI number has not been entered and radio is inoperative. But there are 3 soft keys on the radio and pushing any one of these will allow normal radio usage without MMSI. Of course, one does not have the DSC capability in this mode and your GPS position is not automatically entered into the radio. You have to do this at each radio turn-on.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.