SailNet Community banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone used a heat gun in place of sanding on teak?

I sanded and re-varnished a couple of teak items on my Catalina 30. However, after seeing how long it took, I have been shy about taking on bigger jobs. A neighbor recommended a heat gun to remove the old varnish. Anyone have experience with this?

·
Courtney the Dancer
3,970 Posts
Heat gun and scraper = only way to go for removing varnish, cetol, etc. Keep the heat away from painted surfaces adjacent to the teak.

·
Old as Dirt!
3,487 Posts
Has anyone used a heat gun in place of sanding on teak?

I sanded and re-varnished a couple of teak items on my Catalina 30. However, after seeing how long it took, I have been shy about taking on bigger jobs. A neighbor recommended a heat gun to remove the old varnish. Anyone have experience with this?
One can use a heat gun (carefully) as others have described above but, with a properly maintained "Card Scraper" one doesn't need to bother nor endure the mess/discomfort the arises with the heat gun technique at this time of year (in North America anyway). With a good Card Scraper one can completely remove old finishes and leave a near mirror smooth finish on hardwood and the tools come in various shapes to accommodate round as well as concave and convex shaped pieces. For more information on the tools see (click on) Card Scrapers. For videos on their proper use, Google "Card Scrapers".

FWIW...

·
Registered
3,184 Posts
Even if you do go down the heat gun route, don't use an ordinary scraper. You need a cabinet, card, or carbide scraper - the important point being that you pull, rather than push, the scraper, and it's thus much less likely to put gouges in the wood.

Another suggestion : 3m Safest Stripper. It's a safe, relatively benign chemical stripper that works slowly but does work.

·
Old enough to know better
4,345 Posts
Not another GUN thread....

Oh heat gun! never mind.

I had a Harbor Freight heat gun and had no issues with it, besides not being returned after I loaned it out. But I can hardly fault HF for that! While there pick up a variable speed Multi-tool.

·
Registered
5,251 Posts
I redid all my outside teak this spring - toerails, handrails, entryway trim, etc. I first used Citristrip to remove most of the varnish. Next was a heat gun to remove the suborn spots. Next was sanding to remove the bits and pieces that remained. Then a wipe down with paint thinner, followed by a second wipe down with thinner and a clean cloth.

FWIW I went with Cetol Natural Teak not varnish and am happy with the look. Hopefully it will last longer than varnish.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.