SailNet Community banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I found a neat little program that I wanted to share. For sometime, I've been bemoaning the fact that I can't use any of the Automotive GPSs that I own while on the boat. They're great GPS's but don't support NMEA out, so up till now they've been pretty useless other than being able to get my lat/long if the Raymarine at the helm should fail. They're worth having for that, but seemed like they could do much more..

I found a program that will read the Garmin specific data coming down the USB cable and convert it to NMEA. I downloaded the free trial and it's working like a charm. So now I have SeaClearII on the PC at the nav station with my streetpilot 2730 connected as a back up and for planning.

GPS splitter, simulator and logger. Serial port splitter. - Franson GpsGate

No connection with either company. Just thought I'd share... SeaClearII is pretty nice too with the charts downloaded from NOAA.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Thanks for posting this. I've been wanting to do the same with my car Garmin.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Street Pilot

Thanks Lagniappe for posting this as well.

Which version of the software are you using? Does the wiring still allow the Street Pilot to be powered? I am contemplating doing the same as a back up and wondered if this set up will work with the Garmin NUVI as well. If not, which Street Pilot are you using? Currently we have the laptop with a different charting program called, Chartview Odyssey, which is older and I want to upgrade to one that can use all the new free electronic charts...connected to a Standard Horizon small screen plotter via a Serial cable with a usb adapter on the end. I'd like to get a new chart program for the laptop as well as the right interfaces to do what you did.

TIA,

121Guy

1 - 3 of 3 Posts