SailNet Community banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
220 Posts
If you do this you have to make sure all equipment in the compartment is explosive proof, the compartment will have to be sealed off from the rest of the boat and you will have to add ventilation. You will also have to change the fill plate to read gasoline. Check USCG regs on this one but I am guessing it will be a fair amount of effort. Gasoline is nothing to fool around with if you have ever seen a boat blow up from a gas leak you would understand. I have seen it and it is not pretty.

·
Registered
220 Posts
This boils down to safety and common sense as much as regulations. Yes if the tank was in a locker like propane it would be ok. Gasoline vapors are heavier than air and will flow to the low point. Imagine the dry ice fog you always see in science shows it flows slowly down. If you have a small leak the vapors will flow down so you want to vent those fumes over board a blower being the surest way to do this. you also do not want anything that can spark in the compartment. Some mentioned venting into the cockpit this is not a good idea for the above reasons. All in all I would think the PO would be better off with a portable tank outside. Gasoline can be dangerous you need to use care with it in confined spaces.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts