SailNet Community banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there folks--

New member to the forum. I just bought a 23' 1976 AMF Paceship PY23. Problem is, it's about 200 water-miles away from where I need it to be, but only 50 miles away over roads--but it came without a trailer.

Short of finding someone with a purpose-built trailer for this particular model boat, is it possible, for just one short day's move, to use a power boat's trailer of similar size/weight capacity to move the sailboat?

Specifically we have in mind a friend's trailer that is designed for a 25' Sea Ray Cruiser--a boat that weighs in at 4,000 lbs. The trailer's got rollers on it, etc but I'm not sure how the bunks will match up with the hull.

Thoughts?

·
Telstar 28
1,000 Posts
Usually, you can't use a power boat trailer for a sailboat without a fair bit of modification. Most sailboat trailers don't use rollers, but flat bunks that spread the weight of the boat out more evenly.

·
Registered
515 Posts
Think the 23 is a centerboard boat, so it would be a simple thing to put some temporary bunks on the power boat trailer. Clamp or bolt some blocks to the trailer, then when you're at the boat layout the bunks to fit.

Ken.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts