SailNet Community banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
994 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 29 foot sloop masted sailboat.

So, if I want to refer to my boat with letters, what do I use? Is there a nomenclature for sailboats?

·
Wandering Aimlessly
22,037 Posts
Most people use S/V.

·
Owner, Green Bay Packers
1,000 Posts
Tony,
If you're Italian you use AMGDB in front of your boat's name. "At'sa my ******* boat!"

·
Cabin boy
141 Posts
When we were discussing names for our child I suggested Tyrone, under the theory that if he got in a fight at school, and the other kid went home and told his parents he got in a fight with Tyrone, they'd think he was some tough brother from the 'hood and tell their child to just "leave Tyrone alone". When my daughter was born, my wife absolutely vetoed 'Tyrona'.

So I think you should go with 'USS'.

·
Registered
3,070 Posts
S/V is Sailing Vessel
USS is United States Ship... this is what you would use if you were a Navy Ship.
HMS is Her Majesty's Ship
Most freighters are M/V, Motor Vessel... and there are a lot of stinkpots out there that are M/V also.
And the classic S/S means Steam Ship.

·
Registered
288 Posts
S/V is the correct terminology but many people also use "sloop" or "yawl" or "schooner", as the case may be.

·
Registered
3,070 Posts
I've worked on R/Vs a few times...That is Research Vessels and not Recreational vehicles. :D

·
Super Fuzzy Moderator
17,137 Posts
I prefer BBQ.

- CD
What...only one ???

Strictly speaking I think it should be Auxiliary Sloop but to be honest I find these things somewhat silly when applied to small craft.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts