SailNet Community banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello!!!

ʹve just bought a Sony World Band Receiver ICF-SW7600GR, but I cannot receive any under SSB.
What antenna can I put to hear something?

Thanks

Paola:confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
don't these have an internal antenna? And presuming they do, if you can receive signals on AM/FM and the shortwave bands, it will receive SSB signals equally unless there is a problem with the product detector.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes, It has an internal antenna. But Sony recomends to install the Sony AN-LP1 ANLP1 Active Antenna. So. I wonder if it is a good one or I should put another

Paola

·
Registered
994 Posts
What frequency are you trying to receive?

I would imagine that the wavelength is far to long to use an internal antennae. To calculate the wavelength, divide the frequency in megahertz into 300 (the speed of radio propagation is 300 million meters/sec). The answer will be in meters and your antennae should be electrically about 1/4 of that wavelength. Electrical length may or may not be the actual length of the antennae.

For example, it I wanted to receive something in the range of 15 megahertz, I would be dealing with a 20 meter wavelength, so I would want an antennae that is 5 meters long. That's a pretty long antennae, so the manufacturer would make it appear electrically longer by adding a coil to an antennae that is somewhat shorter than 5 meters.

That's why they are recommending an external antennae. By the time they electrically extend a small piece of internal antennae to be 5 meters, they have destroyed its sensitivity.

PS.....Look into using your back stay; that's long enough.

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
Yes, It has an internal antenna. But Sony recomends to install the Sony AN-LP1 ANLP1 Active Antenna. So. I wonder if it is a good one or I should put another

Paola
There is nothing magical about an antenna for receiving signals. The antenna must be of a resonant length only for transmitting (or alternatively use a matching network) but to receive, anything of reasonable length will ordinarily suffice - the longer, the better; the higher, the better. The device you describe is some sort of amplified antenna not dissimilar to those sold for television antennas but again, ordinarily, it isn't worth the cost (in my opinion) unless you are into weak signal shortwave listening.
Having said that, the old adage still applies - "it can't hurt"

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for everything
And now a silly question. I am not from here, I am from Spain and I am a little confuse about the UTC here in Miami.
Could you tell me about that and tell me when do you change the time?

Thanks again

Paola

·
moderate?
1,000 Posts

·
Hunter 33.1
37 Posts
Thanks for everything
And now a silly question. I am not from here, I am from Spain and I am a little confuse about the UTC here in Miami.
Could you tell me about that and tell me when do you change the time?

Thanks again

Paola
UTC Should be Eastern Time Zone with Daylight Savings -4 UTC

It is best to match your receiving antenna, or trim it. Do a search. Also search long wire antenna which is what PP is referring to.

I use a screw drive antenna on my boat which was originally designed to be used as a mobile antenna on a vehicle. I transmit on several bands. Using your backstay entails installing insulators at certain points to get the correct length see the PP. Most backstay antennas are used for transmitting and will require an antenna tuner, not really necessary for receiving. SSB radios are an entire world in themselves.

Jim N5TJZ

1 - 8 of 8 Posts