SailNet Community banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,356 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Sailnetters,

The Around Long Island Regatta was scheduled to start Thursday, July 23. Like many other regattas, it has been cancelled. Since I had already scheduled vacation for Wednesday - Friday I have decided to sail east for a few days.

Wednesday morning I plan on departing my home port of Mt. Sinai NY for a long weekend in Shelter Island vicinity. I'll be on mooring for two days at the Shelter Island Yacht Club and in a slip for two days at Mitchell Park in Greenport. I don't have any firm plans in mind. I do want to circumnavigate Shelter Island. I've done that many times while racing but now I can take my time and do some exploring.

One of my daughters (22) is coming with me. I think my wife will join us on Friday. My other kids might drive out for a day or two. We will see.

If you're in the area please come over and say hello. Deep Blue C has a dark blue hull and navy canvas.

Barry

·
12,239 Posts
Hello Sailnetters,

The Around Long Island Regatta was scheduled to start Thursday, July 23. Like many other regattas, it has been cancelled. Since I had already scheduled vacation for Wednesday - Friday I have decided to sail east for a few days.

Wednesday morning I plan on departing my home port of Mt. Sinai NY for a long weekend in Shelter Island vicinity. I'll be on mooring for two days at the Shelter Island Yacht Club and in a slip for two days at Mitchell Park in Greenport. I don't have any firm plans in mind. I do want to circumnavigate Shelter Island. I've done that many times while racing but now I can take my time and do some exploring.

One of my daughters (22) is coming with me. I think my wife will join us on Friday. My other kids might drive out for a day or two. We will see.

If you're in the area please come over and say hello. Deep Blue C has a dark blue hull and navy canvas.

Barry
Great places to relax
If the BBQ place Bills is open I highly recommend

·
Registered
5,104 Posts
Mashomack park on Shelter Island is a nature reserve... with trails for people... no pets. It's beautiful. You may be able to anchor in West Harbor and walk in...maybe landing the dink. It's kinda "opposite" of Sag Harbor.

Coecles Harbor is a lovely place to anchor... There is a marina and probably slips and moorings.

Some very good eats on the East End. Sunset Grille on Shelter Island... American Hotel in Sag Harbor... and the Ram's Head In on Coecle's Harbor on Shelter Island. I am sure there are others.... it's "the Hamptons" after all. I don't do restaurants these days much.

Greenport is a tourist madhouse. It's plagued by noisy bikers. I only go there to buy stuff. Prestons is a decent marine and gift store.

Anchor SW of Gardiner's Island... completely alone... no people or boats!

3 Mile Harbor is also a peaceful anchorage with a marina and a tony restaurant... but not much else there.

Stirling Harbor is also a peaceful place to stay... you can walk a couple of blocks to the town. No anchoring as far as I can tell.... but they have moorings and slips a Brewers.

Sag is like a tackier version of Northport... and more expensive. You can get good sushi, hardware and see a movie. There is an over priced take out seafood on the town pier. Lots of ice cream stops... and a decent bagel store opposite the town park / marina.

Nice sailing out that way!

·
12,239 Posts
Mashomack park on Shelter Island is a nature reserve... with trails for people... no pets. It's beautiful. You may be able to anchor in West Harbor and walk in...maybe landing the dink. It's kinda "opposite" of Sag Harbor.

Coecles Harbor is a lovely place to anchor... There is a marina and probably slips and moorings.

Some very good eats on the East End. Sunset Grille on Shelter Island... American Hotel in Sag Harbor... and the Ram's Head In on Coecle's Harbor on Shelter Island. I am sure there are others.... it's "the Hamptons" after all. I don't do restaurants these days much.

Greenport is a tourist madhouse. It's plagued by noisy bikers. I only go there to buy stuff. Prestons is a decent marine and gift store.

Anchor SW of Gardiner's Island... completely alone... no people or boats!

3 Mile Harbor is also a peaceful anchorage with a marina and a tony restaurant... but not much else there.

Stirling Harbor is also a peaceful place to stay... you can walk a couple of blocks to the town. No anchoring as far as I can tell.... but they have moorings and slips a Brewers.

Sag is like a tackier version of Northport... and more expensive. You can get good sushi, hardware and see a movie. There is an over priced take out seafood on the town pier. Lots of ice cream stops... and a decent bagel store opposite the town park / marina.

Nice sailing out that way!
lol I don’t find Sag tackier are all. The restaurants are better, but we aren’t eating out now

I like Greenport , never ran into bikers there, I’d have to take that advice, but when visiting it has a grocery store, Good variety of restaurants, excellent cheap marina, or access from across the way anchorage.

Madhomeck I agree is very nice

just like boats, all towns are trade offs.

·
Registered
5,104 Posts
lol I don’t find Sag tackier are all. The restaurants are better, but we aren’t eating out now

I like Greenport , never ran into bikers there, I’d have to take that advice, but when visiting it has a grocery store, Good variety of restaurants, excellent cheap marina, or access from across the way anchorage.

Madhomeck I agree is very nice

just like boats, all towns are trade offs.
I had a mooring in Shelter Island and other harbors out there from 1985 to 1991 and then from 95-2011. I know the East End and I saw it develop. You don't hear the bikers unless you have a mooring in Greenport and are there at all times. Bikers love to visit Claudio's.

Greenport was a cool old town until they gave it a Hampton makeover... Sag was the same... NYers with money came and the charm left... those who were there before the hamptonization can see it. I suppose many simply call it "development".

I suppose it depends what a sailor wants from the shore in terms of facilities and shopping, entertainment and especially dining... a big social activity allover.

Speaking for me.... and me only... I try to "escape" "development" using my boat. I use the shore only as needed.... If I dine ashore I prefer quiet places with seafood... It's nice to have a chandlery, hardware... and grocery. Wifey likes to look at antiques. We both like calm... versus hysteria.

·
12,239 Posts
I had a mooring in Shelter Island and other harbors out there from 1985 to 1991 and then from 95-2011. I know the East End and I saw it develop. You don't hear the bikers unless you have a mooring in Greenport and are there at all times. Bikers love to visit Claudio's.

Greenport was a cool old town until they gave it a Hampton makeover... Sag was the same... NYers with money came and the charm left... those who were there before the hamptonization can see it. I suppose many simply call it "development".

I suppose it depends what a sailor wants from the shore in terms of facilities and shopping, entertainment and especially dining... a big social activity allover.

Speaking for me.... and me only... I try to "escape" "development" using my boat. I use the shore only as needed.... If I dine ashore I prefer quiet places with seafood... It's nice to have a chandlery, hardware... and grocery. Wifey likes to look at antiques. We both like calm... versus hysteria.
I think we are alike in our preferences
When we visit other area it’s to get their culture. I’m not a shopper in the trinket stores but I like a good T shirt. We don’t usually opt for places like Block Island, but it’s fun to visit occasionally. Block and Newport are like the holy grail for many Chessie sailors who never leave the Bay.

My wife gets a Christmas tree ornament every place we visited and it reappears on our seasonal fresh Christmas tree. Yes I’m Jewish but we celebrate the family parts of the holidays.,(?(?we have a couple Northport ones). She is also an antique shopper and has 4-142 piece china collections done one piece at a time. I looked up their value once as I didn’t understand and if we sold them we could buy a new 39/40 foot production boat. We eat of each set 1 month of the year. She likes it and therefore I do😄😄😄

I know things are not the same as 30-40 years ago. Things change. Many people as they age resist that. I’m not saying you do, but it is a commonality. The only thing constant is change. Greenport won’t go back to 1980. It doesn’t mean that’s bad though. I’ve seen areas here get “ Hamptonized” , gentrified, commercialized, . Hopefully we as a culture preserve some places. One great thing about the Chesapeake is that the Eastern Shore is very much not developed. some large sections of it look like it did when the first English settlers came over from Britain. Many of southern Maryland on the western shore is like that too. Annapolis was the center of the east coast slave trade. That’s it’s history. All those buildings on the Ego Alley square used to hold the slaves off the boats till they were auctioned in the square. It’s good that’s changed .

I also look for peace and solitude when we sail wether a weekend or a 3 week vacation. I enjoy a mix of great food at anchor and some creative or regional cuisine restaurants. It’s tough for me to pay for food I can make, even on the boat, but my wife enjoys eating out once in a while.

many areas up where you are would be considered crowded by some of our other SN friends. Harbors with more than 6 boats seems to make them feel it’s ruined. To me there’s a certain ambiance of sailors Newport, MV, Northport, Sag , Mystic, Annapolis have.

Here in the Chesapeake it’s much easier to find quiet 1 boat anchorages , every corner of a creek or river can be anchored in. It really is one of the special things about keeping a boat here and gunkholing.

We also enjoy the history of America and the countries settlement through Jamestown and the Chesapeake. It’s neat to anchor in places the first sailors brought the tall ships in, or where Cornwallis surrendered to Washington at Yorktown, or anchor where Sir Francis Scott Key wrote the Star Spangled Banner and see Fort McHenry a few miles away. All not really crowded places.

Our boat has allowed us to see how the the immigrints glimpsed America when the arrived here. How they saw the Statue of Liberty after rounding the Narrows. It’s not just desolation and beautiful scenery and isolating.

Yes we like our serenity but for us sailing , and where we go Is more than just peace and quiet isolated from everyone.

Of course Haleakula is the safe place for my wife and I. It is our shared experience. Our tune together no matter where we are. I am fortunate she lives and participated as much as me. I see many other sailors with just the husband going out most of the time. To me it doesn’t matter do much where we anchor as long as we are together.

Reactions: SanderO

·
Registered
2,356 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hi Guys,

Thanks for the comments.

Slight change in plans. The forecast for Wednesday afternoon is not good for heading East. So my daughter and i will depart at 1:00am Wednesday (tonight) on the high tide. Wind should be light so we will just motor until daylight and then see if we can sail for an hour or two.

This afternoon I moved the boat from my mooring to fill the fuel and water tanks, and Give her a quick wash. In an hour or two we will load provisions and the depart for Shelter Island. We hope to arrive around 8:00am.

Barry

·
12,239 Posts
Hi Guys,

Thanks for the comments.

Slight change in plans. The forecast for Wednesday afternoon is not good for heading East. So my daughter and i will depart at 1:00am Wednesday (tonight) on the high tide. Wind should be light so we will just motor until daylight and then see if we can sail for an hour or two.

This afternoon I moved the boat from my mooring to fill the fuel and water tanks, and Give her a quick wash. In an hour or two we will load provisions and the depart for Shelter Island. We hope to arrive around 8:00am.

Barry
safe travels and distancing.

·
Registered
2,529 Posts
safe travels and distancing.
Hi Guys,

Thanks for the comments.

Barry
Currently I'm staying in Amagansett at an oceanfront place with my gal. Things are a little different this year out here. There is no maid service so we need to order towels, garbage bags, cleaning products as needed. "Housekeeping" will not enter the rooms but, leave the items ordered outside the door. We need to take any garbage to the dumpster. Pool guy sprays all lounge chairs and tables with sanitizing spray and leaves a sign that they were sanitized. No ice water jug at the pool this year too , but there is hand sanitizer.

On the restaurant front things are certainly different. One of our favorite places Inlet Seafood in Montauk for lunch has a 50% limitation. No menus! You have to take pictures with your phone of the menu at the check in desk at the front door or have a very good memory. Many restaurants do not have seating inside and are take out only. Still the ocean continues to crash waves on the beach and continues to provide a nice respite from the changes that have taken place. Enjoy the cruise but, you might want to call ahead if you plan to dine ashore so you know what to expect.

P.S. Make sure you carry a mask on you everytime you are on shore.

·
Registered
2,356 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hello to anyone who cares,

We departed Tuesday night around 11:30pm. Very light wind so we didn’t bother to raise any sail. We got into the sound, started the route on the plotter, turned on the auto pilot and sat back to watch. My daughter went below to rest and i stood the first watch (2 hours). Conditions were fine. Smooth seas, comfortable tempera true, no other boats out. Dark, no moon, some light from the long island coast. I adjusted engine speed to keep up at 6-7 kts. I didn’t want to arrive at orient point in the dark. At 2 daughter came in deck to relieve me. I didn’t want to leave her alone in the cockpit so I laid down in the cockpit and slept for 2 hours. At 4 she went off watch and i took over. Speed was way up bc of A favorable current so I reduced rpm to under 2000 rpm to get speed down to 7. Around 4:45am the sky brightened. At 5 we rounded Orient Point. I woke daughter at 530 so i had an extra set of eyes for the run to Dering harbor. Numerous fishing boats working or heading out. An uneventful trip to Dering and we picked up a mooring around 6:30.

We went down below and slept until 10:30. We hailed the Shelter Island Yacht Club on vhf. They said the mooring we picked was fine and we were set for the next two days. Around noon we washed up and hailed the launch. at the club we checked in and then walked around Shelter island heights for an hour or so. The back to the boat for a swim. The launch operator said they did casual wednesday night racing and invited us to join in. So at 5:30 we tidied up, dropped the mooring and got ready to race. I was shocked at the number of variety of boats. Probably 30 boats, everything from j24, oday 30, j105, to block island 40 and some custom race boats. It was challenging with just the two of us aboard but we did fine and had fun. We were back in the mooring at 8. We packed a bags a clean clothes and shower gear and went back to the club. A nice shower and a great meal at the yacht club. Due to COVID-19 there was no after race party but that’s life. Anyway a storm blew through mid way through dinner and the ride back to the boat was wet but short. The rain stopped around 10:30 and i had a good sleep last night.

We are heading back ashore soon to rent bikes and cover more ground on Shelter island.

So far the boat has been great.

barry

·
12,239 Posts
I love hearing others travels. Thanks for sharing

continue to have a fun...safe time

·
Registered
5,104 Posts
Hello to anyone who cares,

We departed Tuesday night around 11:30pm. Very light wind so we didn’t bother to raise any sail. We got into the sound, started the route on the plotter, turned on the auto pilot and sat back to watch. My daughter went below to rest and i stood the first watch (2 hours). Conditions were fine. Smooth seas, comfortable tempera true, no other boats out. Dark, no moon, some light from the long island coast. I adjusted engine speed to keep up at 6-7 kts. I didn’t want to arrive at orient point in the dark. At 2 daughter came in deck to relieve me. I didn’t want to leave her alone in the cockpit so I laid down in the cockpit and slept for 2 hours. At 4 she went off watch and i took over. Speed was way up bc of A favorable current so I reduced rpm to under 2000 rpm to get speed down to 7. Around 4:45am the sky brightened. At 5 we rounded Orient Point. I woke daughter at 530 so i had an extra set of eyes for the run to Dering harbor. Numerous fishing boats working or heading out. An uneventful trip to Dering and we picked up a mooring around 6:30.

We went down below and slept until 10:30. We hailed the Shelter Island Yacht Club on vhf. They said the mooring we picked was fine and we were set for the next two days. Around noon we washed up and hailed the launch. at the club we checked in and then walked around Shelter island heights for an hour or so. The back to the boat for a swim. The launch operator said they did casual wednesday night racing and invited us to join in. So at 5:30 we tidied up, dropped the mooring and got ready to race. I was shocked at the number of variety of boats. Probably 30 boats, everything from j24, oday 30, j105, to block island 40 and some custom race boats. It was challenging with just the two of us aboard but we did fine and had fun. We were back in the mooring at 8. We packed a bags a clean clothes and shower gear and went back to the club. A nice shower and a great meal at the yacht club. Due to COVID-19 there was no after race party but that’s life. Anyway a storm blew through mid way through dinner and the ride back to the boat was wet but short. The rain stopped around 10:30 and i had a good sleep last night.

We are heading back ashore soon to rent bikes and cover more ground on Shelter island.

So far the boat has been great.

barry
That race on Wednesday night is fun. Boats from SI and Greenport come. I've never done any after race parties... nor done much at SIYC though I knew the manager there for a while. Sounds like a fun trip.

·
Registered
2,356 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hey,

Conclusions and some pictures.

Well I'm home and my sailing vacation is over.

I'm extremely happy with how the boat worked. The only time I touched a tool was yesterday when we were sailing home and I heard a squeak from the mast where it passes through the deck (partners). I checked a little closer and I saw that the Spartite plug had moved up and the was almost out of the partner. I used a hammer and punch to drive that back down and that was end of the squeak and the end of my use of tools. Every thing on the boat worked great: The autopilot steered about 95% of the time and did a great job (more on that later), the fridge kept items cold and I didn't need to buy additional ice. We spent two nights / three days on a mooring and the house bank had more than enough power to run the fridge, lights, recharge cell phones, play the radio, etc. The engine, which got a workout because of light wind, ran for about 20 hours, pushed us along at 6.5-7.5 kts, burned about 12 gallons of fuel, and didn't use any oil. The stove, head, water system, etc. was great too.

Regarding the Autopilot, my pilot is a Raymarine Evo 100 Wheelpilot. It's networked with my instruments (Ray speed, depth, wind), VHF (Simrad with AIS receive), and B&G Vulcan plotter. I run Navionics charts on my plotter and I have the Navionics app on my IPhone which also connected to the plotter via WIFI. To create my route to Shelter Island I just create a route by touching the start point and the end point. The Navionics app creates the route automatically based on my draft. I can save the route and then import it into my Vulcan plotter. So Tuesday night when we departed Mt. Sinai all I had to do was open the route and start it, then press 'TRACK' on the plotter. The plotter sends the waypoint information to the AP and I just sit back and keep watch. When I arrived at a waypoint both the plotter and AP beep and display a message. By acknowledging the message, the next waypoint is automatically selected and the boat just goes there. Tuesday night we didn't see a single boat the entire trip down the sound. There were just a few waypoints until Orient, so it was very simply. I saw one AIS target, going the same direction we were but he was 3nm north. When my daughter stood watch all she needed to do was keep a lookout and write log entries every hour, and that was that. Rounding Orient there were many course changes and it was helpful to be able to keep watch, peer out into the dark looking for other vessels and pay attention to what was going on outside of the boat and let the plotter and AP drive the boat. Being short handed and tired I appreciated that I was able to focus on the external world and not the navigational aspects. From Orient to Shelter and we saw a number of fishing boats heading out and that required a few course changes, which was easily accomplished. While not hugely important, having the AP follow a route is a feature I do appreciate. On the return trip, the wind was light and on the nose. We motorsailed with the main up. We needed to tack here and there so we were unable to use the 'track' feature. Again, not a big deal and it was daylight and we were both alert.

Some pics. I'm not really sure what is better, trying to include the pic in the post or linking to a gallery so this may be a little disjoint.

Some other just vacation type stuff.
Thursday was a no sail day. My daughter and I had a slow relaxing breakfast and some reading. Then we headed into town and rented bikes and rode all over the island. That was fun but warm. After riding for a few hours we returned the bikes, returned to the boat and swam for a bit. For dinner we went to the club, showered, then took the ferry to Greenport. We ate at a decent outdoors place, then took the ferry back to shelter island, the launch to the boat and went to sleep. Friday morning my wife met us. We dropped the mooring around 10:30 and motored to Greenport. At Mitchel Marina we tied up, used the pump out faclilites, refilled the water tank and my wife walked aboard. We wanted to sail around shelter island but the wind was too light. So we motored around and enjoyed the beautiful scenery. On the south side of the island we detoured into Peconic bay and anchored off of Jessups Point. I made lunch and we hung on the hook for an hour or two and them motored back to Greenport where we took a slip at Mitchel Marina. The rest of family drove out and we had a great dinner at Noah's on Main St. After a little walking around we returned to the boat. The drive up guests departed and my daughter and I sat around and read. Claudio's bar, right next door, was quite a party scene, still going strong at 12:30 when I went to sleep. The original plan was to spend Saturday in Greenport but Sunday's forecast of high winds from the west made me change my plans to depart Saturday morning and return home. So that's what we did and now I'm home.

Barry

IMG_0231[1].JPG

IMG_0231[1].JPG

·
Registered
5,104 Posts
Very nice report and vacation... Bummer you didn't have some wind... doing that by sail without the motor would have been perfect because sailing out there is very different from sailing the West end of the Sound. And Claudio's is a madhouse way too noisy... you got that right!

·
12,239 Posts
Great report.
Reminded me of sailing with my daughter as she grew up. Now owns her own C30.
The memories are and will be priceless
Nice when the boat forget Murphy ashore 😀

Reactions: BarryL and SanderO
1 - 15 of 15 Posts