SailNet Community banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im adding a boom vang to my 30 Cape Dory and figure I can save some $ by using my own line. I have a 60' length of 7/16 sta-set X double braid salvaged from an almost new halyard that I managed to damage (arrgh) near the eye end. This stuff seems a little stiff but does it seem a reasonable choice?
Also near the mast base (deck stepped) is a bail bolted through the mast. Is that adequate or do I need a special reinforced plate or some kind.
And finally, any reason why I cant consider a 4:1 vang a good alternative to carrying a separate block and tackle for emergencies (eg hauling someone out of the drink)?

·
Registered
4,192 Posts
Im adding a boom vang to my 30 Cape Dory and figure I can save some $ by using my own line. I have a 60' length of 7/16 sta-set X double braid salvaged from an almost new halyard that I managed to damage (arrgh) near the eye end. This stuff seems a little stiff but does it seem a reasonable choice?
Also near the mast base (deck stepped) is a bail bolted through the mast. Is that adequate or do I need a special reinforced plate or some kind.
And finally, any reason why I cant consider a 4:1 vang a good alternative to carrying a separate block and tackle for emergencies (eg hauling someone out of the drink)?

Staset X isn't a double braid. That's what makes it kinda stiff. Still, it should be fine for a vang.
The bail is probably there just for a vang so that should be fine as well.
There is no reason that I can see why you couldn't use your vang for other purposes.

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, those were all the answers I was hoping for.
I might be misinterpreting something about the term "double braid". I looked at MW catalog under Sta set X and they call it a polyester double braid but Im not conversant in the nuances of double braids..

·
Registered
4,192 Posts
Thanks, those were all the answers I was hoping for.
I might be misinterpreting something about the term "double braid". I looked at MW catalog under Sta set X and they call it a polyester double braid but Im not conversant in the nuances of double braids..
Sta Set X has a core made up of parallel polyester fibers wrapped in a gauze like material and a spun polyester braided cover. The core causes it to have slightly less stretch than double braid.
It can't be spliced in the normal way but beyond being a little stiff and fuzzy it's pretty much like any other line.
The catalog you looked at must have had a misprint.

·
Telstar 28
1,000 Posts
Also, StaSetX has to be spliced differently than a double braid.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts